• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What PSU and case to choose?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nilo

Hello OC Forums' members.
It's great to be here.
Can you please help me with these questions?

I'm thinking of buying:
. an ASUS P5LD2 deluxe or P5WD2 motherboard.
. PIV 3200 (640)
. 6600 GS or 7800GT
. LG 4167 DVD-RW
. Maxtor / Seagate / Western Digital - 2x 250GB 16 (sata 150 or 300)
. Kingston 2x512MB

- What PSU do you advise me to get?
Is a Coolermaster 450 enough? the 550 perhaps?
Another brand?

- What CASE should I get? Alluminum one.
One that sounds like a steel one, with no rattle, no vibrating sounds caused by the HDDs. Or should I go for a steel one?
Antec 160? Antec 3000B? Antec Super Lanboy? Antec Sonata 2? http://www.antec.com/us/pro_enclosures.html
Thermaltake Soprano? Thermaltake Tsunami? http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase/menu.htm
Coolermaster cases? http://www.coolermaster.com/index.p...lace=product_class_include&files=chassis.html

Thanks so much for your help!

I need to know your budget before truely recommending anything, but here are some constantly recommended power supplies: Fortron Bluestorm or AX500-A 500w, OCZ Powerstream 520w, PCP&C 510w, Sparkle FSP550-60PLG 550w, Seasonic S-12 series, and Silverstone 560w (Etasis). Cases include: CM Centurion 5 and Stacker; Antec P160, P180, SLK series, and LANBOY; Most of the expensive Thermaltakes; Lian Li PC-65B and PC-V1000. But like I said before - we need a definite budget to go by to actually recommend a case/power supply.

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Thanks for your replies.
What about the question of whether I should go for an aluminum or steel case?
That would be a good help, limiting the options.

The budget englobes everything (not more than 1200; ideally, 1000).
That's why I have many options about some components. So, I can give more money for some, and less for others. It would be a trade-off.

I mentioned the cases and psu brands I can buy in the store I'm going to.
So, do you think those 2 Coolermaster PSUs aren't a good option?
Should I try to find OCZ, Fortron, Antec ones?

Is the Antec 160 a good alluminum case? Is the Super Lanboy somehow better? Thermaltake Soprano, Tsunami?
Coolermaster cases?

Or is it better to go for steel ones - Antec 3000B? Antec Sonata 2?

About the Centurion 5 - Is its PSU capable of running my system?

Thanks so much for your help. I'm really having difficulties about choosing the best I can buy, so your help is much appreciated.

the Antec 160 is a great case....thats what i have mine in. Tons of Room and its really quiet although ive put new fans in it...but it was pretty quiet even with the fans it came with.

definitely try to find better PSU's than the coolermaster, the brands you listed are good, also seasonic, zippy, zalman, enermax, nexus, HEC/Heroichi, PC Power and Cooling, and sparkle (same as fortron) are good

steel or aluminum is just a personal preference unless you want to carry it with you a good amount of the time then aluminum is lighter

Want to consider the P180 for $100 or so? It's a great quality case that's quiet.

I'd say go for the Forton AX500-A, above that would be the OCZ Powerstream520 for better futureproofing of course.

/me agrees with darksparkz. Unless silence is a top concern, in that case I would get a seasonic s-120 500w or 600w.

ckj said:
Unless silence is a top concern, in that case I would get a seasonic s-120 500w or 600w.

yup, i agree, if you're going with a quiet case for noise concerns, the seasonic S-12 would be the PSU of choice as it is the best truly quiet PSU with a fan that's available right now

Thanks for your replies :)

I'll try to find some of those PSUs!

For the case, I just want one that doesn't feel (or is) flimsy, rattles, vibrates with the components running (v.g, HDDs).
Its portability can be handy, but if you think it can have problems, I'll pick a steel one.

I read the Antec 160 has not so good airflow because of the HDDs position. Is that right?

i think it has excellent airflow....i have 3 HDD's too and i get around 23-26c in case
I also got 2 fans with 190cfm
its very sturdy compared to my Tsunami..considering when i take off the side panel it feels like i could snap it

The 160 is also very light and the harddrive trays with the rubber grommets take away alot of vibration

So, if you can choose between a Tt Tsunami and an Antec 160, you pick the latter?
Or is there any inconvenients with the Antec 160? Should I pick other case?

i havent had any inconveniences so far....only that a little barb on the front panel snapped off from me taking it off so much lol but it still fits on very snug...

Back