• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia buys ULi out, hello Uvidia.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darksparkz

Kidding about that Uvidia thing, lol.

"NVIDIA to Acquire ULi Electronics, a Leading Developer of Core Logic Technology"

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_28250.html

Looks like the chipset war grew smaller again, the new company ULi just gets bought out.

Just with the new release of the ULi M1697 chipset too.

Edit: Found another "supporting" article: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28333

Editv2: Yeah I know it was posted down in General Computer Discussion, but it's more video related, so here should help too.

Man that really sucks, I was starting to like ULi, I was just waiting for a better manufacturer to pick up the 1695 chipset. I know they will still sell the 1695 and 1697 chipsets, but it is kind of sad that they won't be competing with Nvidia.

This probably is a great move for Nvidia, to squash out some emerging competition while picking up some good engineers. I wonder if there will still be a ULi line value type line.

funnyperson1 said:
Man that really sucks, I was starting to like ULi, I was just waiting for a better manufacturer to pick up the 1695 chipset. I know they will still sell the 1695 and 1697 chipsets, but it is kind of sad that they won't be competing with Nvidia.

This probably is a great move for Nvidia, to squash out some emerging competition while picking up some good engineers. I wonder if there will still be a ULi line value type line.

Someone, somewhere (I think on the [H]), said they thought that nVidia was trying to expedite the death of AGP. ULi was doing that ASRock board that had both PCI-e and AGP, correct? I think that's a good theory myself. Technically AGP is 'dead', but so many people still use it...

Well, if nvidia was hellbent on killing off AGP, they'd simply stop releasing hardware for it and find a way to get developers to cripple performance on AGP platforms, however they are too greedy to be that blatant so they continue to reap the profits from those users who refuse to make the switch right now. After all, ATI would simply swoop in and scoop up all those sales! :0

Thats it, Nvidia goes to the "evil companys" list!
This is just low, the ULi chipset was at the same level as Nvidias so they just "killed" it.
Good move though...

The main reason for nVidia to get Uli seems to me to stop mobo maker from using the uli south bridge with the ati chipest, becaue ati's own sb sucks bad. But seriouly ULi only controlled about 1% of the market, that is nothing. I doubt nVidia will kill them though at least not imediately.

I hear that via and sis ocasionally chuck out the odd southbridge, i'm sure ati will buy them if they need to.

nvidia is pretty big, and intel would probably get legal hassle if they tried to buy them out, but hey amd might try and develop a half decent chipset if it happened, of course they wouldn't have anyware to make them. :)

Amd has for a while been making chipsets for workstation, and if there was a need for them to make them they could.

Back in the day AMD made a nice chipset. Don't know what happened though. They shot themselves in the foot with the Irongate/Viper usage...

I myself don't like to see companies gobbled up. It takes away competition. Lets hope they use the ULi engineers wisely.

I doubt they'll profit too much from buying that chipset, from the reviews I've seen, the nForce4 chipsets are running a tad better then ULi ones, maybe they'll run better once combined.

Back