• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New VGA cooler, by Evercool

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Question for all,

I was under the impression that heatpipes worked best when the heat was drawn away upwards? I could see this cooler work really well in a BTX format but what if it were in the ATX format?

Again I have not used any heatpipe coolers before because I went straigt to water (even though I have a full passive heatpipe vga cooler in my closet attached to an unused 9800pro!)

It will work, and work well. I am using the AeroCool VM-101 VGA cooler, which is a passive design similar to that coolermaster product. There is no problem with heatpipe function in this configuration when used in an ATX case. There is some problem with memory sink clearance, but it is solved easily with a file. Simply file down the memory sink directly behind the heatpipes for clearence, it usually only amounts to a 1/8" or so of filing.

The coolermaster has more fin area than the VM-101 and similar design, plus the fan. The VM-101 does very well with my 7800GT's core at 500MHz even passively, but I've recently discovered that long bouts of CoD2 can produce core temperatures of ~73C, hot enough to artifact a bit now and then at 500MHz. I placed some 50mm delta fans on the top of the fin bed in position similar to the coolermaster's fan, but I configured mine to draw across the fins and exhaust towards the cpu. Using two .15A-12V 50x10mm deltas at 6V drops the full-load core temp to 59C.

*edit* I just realized the fins are on the front side with this cooler, where the fins are on the back side on the VM-101. The comments about the memory sink clearance still apply, but I do like how this will cool the front side video memory now. I can see why they have the fan oriented as they do, now.

Last edited:
larva said:
*edit* I just realized the fins are on the front side with this cooler, where the fins are on the back side on the VM-101. The comments about the memory sink clearance still apply, but I do like how this will cool the front side video memory now. I can see why they have the fan oriented as they do, now.

So then will it not cool as well? Your VM-101 is perfect for ATX because it would cause the heat to go up the pipe unlike if you were to use the cooler in BTX, the heat would have to go down.

Bryan D.

Looks great! From the looks and copper, I thought it would've weighed more. Weight : 300g, only 80g more than the VM-101AC, that's not too bad. Man I love my VM-101AC, hell, I love anything with heatpipes.

larva said:
The VM-101 does very well with my 7800GT's core at 500MHz even passively, but I've recently discovered that long bouts of CoD2 can produce core temperatures of ~73C, hot enough to artifact a bit now and then at 500MHz. I placed some 50mm delta fans on the top of the fin bed in position similar to the coolermaster's fan, but I configured mine to draw across the fins and exhaust towards the cpu. Using two .15A-12V 50x10mm deltas at 6V drops the full-load core temp to 59C.

Good to hear, larva. I'll be implementing my VM-101AC on my 7800gt as soon as it arrives. Did you find your stock 6800gt RAM sinks, or did you settle for stick-ons? My max temp on my 5900GT is in the low 50c(s) with one 90mm Thermalright fan-- on 7v--laying on top of the fins, pointed down on the vid cards PCB. I have two 120mm panaflo's on 7v. The intake is blasting through the VM-101AC's fins, and outtake is 2 inches above. I could never achieve this amount of silence without the heat pipes IMHO. Normal vid card temps are on 40c.

Edit: I wonder if the heat pipes are larger than 6mm in diameter? They look fat!

Last edited:
bryan_d said:
So then will it not cool as well? Your VM-101 is perfect for ATX because it would cause the heat to go up the pipe unlike if you were to use the cooler in BTX, the heat would have to go down.

Bryan D.
The reason the VM-101 places the fins behind the card is not because heat rises, but because the case exhaust fan is typically above the card. The VM-101 is designed as a purely passive device, using the airstream from the case exhaust fan to function. Since coolermaster was implementing theirs with a fan, there was little reason not to put the fins on the south side. I have an extra quiet 80mm fan attached to the core side of my card to bathe the memory in cooling air, with this setup you don't need to add the fan to achieve the same thing.

The VM-101 is elegant, and it turns out that the area behind the card where their fins are located is generally wasted space if not occupied by the VM-101. And since you can place fans on it as well, it is more versatile as it can operate in purely passive mode with pretty aggressive thermal load due to positioning the fins in the existing airstream.

There is a VM-102 in existance also, it has copper fins of larger dimensions than the original. I've not seen it from any common vendors, but I would like to try one out.

Last edited:
WOW!...... that VM-102AC is a modern masterpiece. I'd hate to see that copper tarnish though. What an upgrade from that silly, paper thin, little black decorative thing on the original. That new one actually looks like it serves a purpose now. Let us know if you try that one out.

THE MAIN PROBLEM IS IT STILL BLOWS HOT AIR IN THE CASE...
Arctic Cooling NV Silencers blow the hot air outside the case... AND THIS A VERY BIG ADVANTAGE.
waiting for some reviews though...

and on what graphic card do u have it installed?
give us some details?
temeperatures: idle & load...
noise
OC etc :D
thanks

On a hot, overclocked one...read post #11 ;)
thanks

Edit: and I'm thinking about getting my hands on that VM-102AC . I think it might beat this Evercool! (with a fan of my choice)

Last edited:
Back