• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB 2.0 vs. PCI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JetEngineMech

In the Netgear configurator, they recommend using the USB 2.0 port for the wireless connection instead of the PCI slot. What would be the main reason for this?

First, I would use PCI over USB any day.

It may be because they are trying to standardize on USB.. it's pretty much universally supported now, whereas laptops, embeded systems, and macs don't support PCI. It's also easier install, and easier to troubleshoot when it's "plug it in & load the drivers" vs. shut down, take of side of case, find appropriate slot, plug it in, etc.

USB takes up less space.. you can have 127 devices per USB controller.. PCI you can have 5 devices or less (some PCI cards that don't like to share resources, and if you plug them in the wrong place, the system board forces it to share it with another slot, making that slot unusable and causing weird issues if that's where you plug it in). USB is hot-plugable so you can plug & unplug it on the fly. Also, I believe USB devices take up less resources than PCI.

On the other hand, USB is less stable, and way lower bandwidth than PCI.

i personally would do PCI, as usb is slower and it always seems to be more of a ***** to me when trying to get it to work, driver issues and it thinking it isnt plugged in when it is and all....

i think su root has a good point there on the standardization of USB, and for the average consumer it is sooo much easier to install than a PCI card.

on a side note, su root, werent you an admin at one time? or am i not rememberin correctly. i remember you givin me some help with a cisco router back before the inet transition, was thinkin you were red. reminded me of the linux root level at the time lol.

four4875 said:
on a side note, su root, werent you an admin at one time? or am i not rememberin correctly. i remember you givin me some help with a cisco router back before the inet transition, was thinkin you were red. reminded me of the linux root level at the time lol.
Nope, I've never been a mod or admin here. There have only ever been about a half dozen admins.. the mods are the ones who take care of most of the issues, there have been and are lots of them.

four4875 said:
ah ok lol. im assuming youve at last ben blue for quite a while then? lol or maybe i assumed that root... admin.... hell i dunno. it was too long ago lol.
Yeah, I've been blue for the last few years.

Back