• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Few Questions Before I Leak-Test

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Herr Rogers

1.) If I decided to use a microATX power supply to power my fans for my radiator and a light, how would the PSU start if it wasn't connected to the mobo?

2.)On an Iwaki pump, which of the barbs is the "pull", and which barb is the "push"l? I was thinking that the one going straight up would be the pull, because pushing up doesn't seem too smart.

3.)What the hell is filling/bleeding? I know it's getting all the lines filled with water, but how is this possible at all? I know you can't dry run the pump; so do you just sit there and add water to the reservoir while the pump is going? I don't get this step at all...

4.)Is microATX even my best route? Is there one even smaller? What are the "smaller " ATXs?

5.)Is there a certain in/out for the BIX3?

Last edited:
0) It would be wise to leak test the components outside of your system. If there is a leak why risk getting anything wet? Approximate the tubing lengths needed using a tape measure (or just dead reckoning) and assemble the cooling loop on the kitchen counter or something. That's what I did.

Edit: to leak test outside your computer, assuming you're using a DC pump, you would of course need a power supply. If you have a spare power supply you can plug it in to the wall and plug your pump into the PSU. You can start the PSU by shorting the green wire on the motherboard connector with any black wire also on the motherboard connector. Use something like this if you're feeling spendy.

1) I don't think an extra power supply would be required but if you think you must CLICK HERE and read the letter at the bottom titled "Double barrelled". There are links in the answer that would help you

2) If it's anything like every other pump the top will be the output. Pumps use centrifugal forces so it comes in the middle, the impeller spins and centrifugal force pushes outward. Outward would also be up in this case.

3) What I do is after everything is tubed up I put the source of the coolant below the pump and suck on the other end till the coolant is inside the pump and a bit into the output. I then raise the pool of coolant above the pump and the coolant stays in the pump. Plug it in and the pump fills the rest of the system. You can work out the rest (I sure hope).

4) I don’t think you need another power supply unless you’re running something super stupid weak in witch case you should upgrade anyway.

5) No. I don’t own one but there shouldn’t be. Other than CPU water blocks where the in is usually in the middle directly over the core, and the pump, most things don’t have specific in and outs.

6) Your avatar scares me.

Last edited:
I just bought a fortron microATX power supply and that "jump start" thing for it. I guess you could say I'm feeling "spendy". Thanks for answering all my questions.

I read another guide of this guy saying to pour liquid in your reservoir, let it all leak out of your reservoir and into your loop, then refill, and repeat.

Can anyone point me out to a guide or something?

Herr Rogers said:
I just bought a fortron microATX power supply and that "jump start" thing for it. I guess you could say I'm feeling "spendy". Thanks for answering all my questions.

I read another guide of this guy saying to pour liquid in your reservoir, let it all leak out of your reservoir and into your loop, then refill, and repeat.

Can anyone point me out to a guide or something?

Any way that will allow you to pour liquid into the tubing will work. Be creative. If you have a reservoir, close the whole loop and just add slowly into the fillport until most of the air in the tubes is replaced by water, especially in the pump. Once you added the most you can without overfilling, turn pump on and slowly add more into reservoir while its running.

If you have a t-line. same thing. keep adding water into the t-line until most of the air is replaced by water in the tubes, and then turn on and add more as necessary.

You should be able to fill the system at least 90% with water before even turning it on. The rest is usually occupied by air bubbles in the blocks/rad/pump.

Back