• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800gt Losing Performance when OCed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

forlack

Registered
My friend just bought an eVGA 6800gt and I had some time to tweak it. I used Cool Bits and ran the Overclock Utility. After setting the frequency, sometimes a 50mhz bump for the GPU, I would run 3dmark2001se and to my surprise the score was lower. I think it could be throttling, but I would lose performance even if I uped the GPU frequency by 5-10Mhz. He now has a 500w Powersupply with 20amps going to the 12v Rail, and I just can figure out why it seems to not be overclocking. Can some one help?

20 amp 12v rail could be a tad low for a system depending on the system.And it could be throttling ..It is one or the other

The Core Temperature is around 63C. Is that causing it to not overclock?

wow... 63C... while not exceptionally bad, that is mighty high for just idling.... mine idles at ~51C with an NV silencer rev. 5 and ~ 52C with the stock cooler... You might wanna check to make sure the HS is making good contact with the GPU..

diehrd said:
20 amp 12v rail could be a tad low for a system depending on the system.And it could be throttling ..It is one or the other

This is totaly a joke ..
The REAL real real amperes that the card needs is no more than 4.2

Any way , about the issue, lower your clocks until to get the golden line.
This card , does have lots of internal protections, but they are there for good reason.

Isn't 3DMark01 more cpu based than gpu?? Try using 3DMark05, and see what kind of scores you get.

Is the card brand new?? If so, I would be tempted to burn the card in for a while before you OC it.

Cheers.

Kiriakos said:
This is totaly a joke ..
The REAL real real amperes that the card needs is no more than 4.2

Any way , about the issue, lower your clocks until to get the golden line.
This card , does have lots of internal protections, but they are there for good reason.

Yes, the card only needs 4.2amps, but if the rest of the system is eating the other amps up also, then it would cuase a shortage of power to the card, and thus not run as smoothly.

I have the same problem. I increase the core speed up to 380 and the score lowers. I increase the voltage but still I get no results. Maybe the evga is a bad card for overclocking.

Try disableing AGP Fastwrites if it is an AGP card, when i did that on mine i was able to up the core 10mhz more before my gpu would throtle in FEAR. Sucks cause i can go higher with my core and get better 3dmark scores, but FEAR taxes my gpu so much it maxes out at 82c. Most other games max out between 75 and 78c, and i believe my card throtels at 77c. I need to get rid of my stockcooling and get a zalman to go any further with my card.

Even if it isn't throttling, it could be trying to correct rendering errors that it catches, causing it to be slower as well. Happens on my 5700 and Geforce3 cards when they get clocked too far. Just back it down a bit.

I've been trying to break 16K on 03 with my 6800GT. I've ran it up to 470/1300 so far and I've noticed that when the OC is unstable, which is is ALOT, it 'throttles' or clocks its self downward, ultimately losing alot of performance when OC'ed. I've noticed this with trying to play games at that speed as well, game freezes for a second, next thing I know im missing 30fps in every direction. My gpu just needs a tiny extra voltage and i bet it would be stable. But definitly try 03 or 05, 01 is more of a cpu critical bench.

there is no way that i have overclocked it too much. The core can only get up from 350 to 375. That isn't that much compared to what you guys are doing.

My card kept clocking down, 5 minutes of reading and a quick custom bios flash fixed everything. Too bad the card didnt like getting more voltage.

Try using ATItool (the new version works with nVidia cards) and run the "Scan for Artifacts" option, that will help you figure out if the card is throwing off errors.

johnmcc516 said:
there is no way that i have overclocked it too much. The core can only get up from 350 to 375. That isn't that much compared to what you guys are doing.
Denial isnt going to help. Ive seen plenty of GTs that cant do more than 380. Yours unfortunatly may be in that list. Never compare your hardware to what other people get. There is always going to be somone with a faster clocking chip reguardless of how yours does. Only base your hardware off of what it is capable of doing.

If yours throttles past 370 that is the limit.

Sentential said:
Denial isnt going to help. Ive seen plenty of GTs that cant do more than 380. Yours unfortunatly may be in that list. Never compare your hardware to what other people get. There is always going to be somone with a faster clocking chip reguardless of how yours does. Only base your hardware off of what it is capable of doing.

If yours throttles past 370 that is the limit.

I agree, many of us here know that even if you have a system identical to someone else's, there's a chance it will not perform the same, OC the same, benchmark the same, etc.

jcw122 said:
I agree, many of us here know that even if you have a system identical to someone else's, there's a chance it will not perform the same, OC the same, benchmark the same, etc.

I absolutely hate it when people do this. My friend compared his bare stock A64 3000+ to a hard core ln2 users and thought he could get that high. He got so upset and claimed that his 3000+ venice sucked balls. :p

ok. well I will except the 375 overclock. I think I was just a bit dissappointed. Thanks for all the help guys. :) Oh and btw, I only use as5.

Back