• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the non OC temp on a d830?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mcennis4

Registered
I haven't found any reference here and only 69 degrees (on google so far).

I haven't OC'd. PC PROBE II is installed and it has given me a "red" warning that temp jumps to 62 degrees from 57 . I haven't even put the side of the case on yet so I know it is going to get hot.

Last edited:
i have the pD 840
at first I didn't have a good seat with the 4 plastic studs that are
on intels factory heatsink

and i ran mine a few hours with temps of 80 to 85c - then if a used an app it would hit 90c and cut off

90c was default

but after tearing it down - buying heatsink compound and removing the thermal tape - with a good seat

my temps were 60c around idle
now this is the 840 3.2 dual core

i was going to send it back but everyone said it normal for dual cores

i got around $500 in a custom water cooling system on mine and hang around 28c now

~RD

That depends on a lot of different things, kind of a vague question.
My 830D was running at 37° idle and 52° load with a Delta Super high speed fan and a lapped XP-120. But i would say 57°~63° idle without an overclock is way too high. What kind of heatsink and thermal paste are you using?

dylskee said:
NO WAY IS THAT DEFAULT!!!!! Maybe F not C!!! Thats insane and your cpu wouldn't last a day at those temps.

Here's a link with some technical info

90c is default KILL temp in bios

then i removed HSF and added compound instead of tape that came with it
then it was 60c idle - this is summer time room temps around 75 F
that is with the HSF intel that came with the 840

so an over 20 degree drop lets you know i didn't have a good seat at first
thermal tape vs compound? no way it can drop that far - so it was my seating

and with my BIX3 / apogee / maze4 chip /maze4 gpu's it lays around 28c now

i have top benchmark at 3dmark05 website for my hardware setup against the same

score 11040

PS - i've read the specs - like 63c is critical start i think - i can't remember now - but this cpu puts off 130watts of thermal heat

Yeah, those duallies are crazy hottttt! Trust me, i know....I still have an 830D but it's sitting in a box right now. When the new pressler's are released i'm selling the 830D and my 650 and getting myself one with the 975 chipset motherboard. Well, thats the plan anyway we'll see how much $$$ i have when the chips hit the market.

I don't have a D-core. But I know that 90c is not right. 70c is well you can survive, but plan on having problems after reboot most likely.

I even cringed with fear thinking about my sys a few months ago with a 530j chip was running load 65 and at 68c, when I rebooted my system hanged for a while.

You could have not set the chip correctly, or they could be l that the HS is not seated right.

There is no way those chips were ever meant to idle at 60c. I understand that they may idle at 60c with the default heatsink, but that means the second you open firefox the chip is throttling.

Well I swear - I was going to send it back
and several peeps in here said its normal

1 core around 30c - 2 cores could go to 60c idle

i run mine that hot and cut it off about 8 hours later and went to compusa - next county over
and got the TT Big Water kit

then it idled at 40c

and i had that orange HS compound - real sticky stuff - you get at electronics shop

and I know i had a good seat the second go around

~RD

dylskee said:
That depends on a lot of different things, kind of a vague question.
My 830D was running at 37° idle and 52° load with a Delta Super high speed fan and a lapped XP-120. But i would say 57°~63° idle without an overclock is way too high. What kind of heatsink and thermal paste are you using?

I have the stock fan/heatsink with arctic silver 5. I am going to get a new fan/heatsink but did you try the manufacturer's heatsink/fan before replacing it...and if so, how were the temps?

EDIT: I just booted for the first time today and it was in the low 70's...not good.

Just found this site and it is saying 69.8 max.
CPU TEMPS

Last edited:
I was using a Zalman 7000 series heatsink and fan when i got my 840D and the temps were around 40c at stock speed. I bought the XP-120 and a crazy 220CFM fan and the temps dropped about 8c.

I would say even with the stock heatsink, stock speeds and decent case ventelation you should be around 40~45c idle. 70c is a bit too hot, i would definitely but a decent heatsink and fan but you could try reseating the stock heatsink. Sounds like your getting poor contact, make sure you apply a little dot of AS5 in the center of the IHS.

I was waiting to get the heat under control before doing much. The temps have been around 61-64 just surfing. I flashed the bios and they have just dropped to 48-50! The Big Typhoon should be here in 2 days so I have a feeling I'll be able to overclock soon.

I did have a couple of odd things happening though. I couldn't access many folders on one of my hard drives (these were previously in another pc) and was getting an "access denied" message. Any clue what would have caused that? I can move the drive to a number of other PCs. Fortunately, CompUSA had the Maxtor 250 SATA on sale for $59.99 a/r plus I had $40 in coupons so I should have enough disk space for awhile.

Maxtor 250 SATA on sale for $59.99!!! nice! Damn! There is a transit strike in muy city! I can't run down there to get it! MAN@(*@&#*(@#! Lucky!

heh, well I hope the Big Typhoon does it for you I really do. I know what it feels like to suffer from almost having a heart attack seeing how hot my chip was in teh beggining, before my Case/HS overhaul.

Have a cooooool, holiday.

My 830 idles at around 54-57c at idle and under extreme load it can get to 60-65, this may be towards an ambient room temp of between 15c and 43c (stupid melb)

how overclocked can you get it when using the stock cooler (bit of a n00b post but i aint oc'd a dual core b4)

I have several 830's ... all folding 724 running 2 instances.
They are all oc'ed to 3900 at about 1.425 VC.

Load temps are high 50's to low 60's, running caseless with TT sonic towers and big typhoon.

When my ambients climb, or hsf need cleaning they will hit low 70's ... and at that point they will start producing errors (EUE's in folding jargon).

These chips will run high temps ( I think i have seen mid to high 70's) but whats the point in ruunning there if they don't work properly (ie. erroneous results)?

my 820D used to run at 63-65 both core loads after I applied artic silver 5. Before I did that it was between 68-72. It didnt matter how much i reseated the stock heat sink

Didn't like the temps so I put it under water.
1.46V core idles at 40 loads at 45
(loop has chipset and a 7800 on it)

dylskee said:
I bought the XP-120 and a crazy 220CFM fan and the temps dropped about 8c.
Wow, you bought that monster Delta fan? Whoa! :eek:

I was looking at it, when I was modding my Zalman 7700cu's, but decided on the 140 CFM version, which actually wasn't as loud as I thought it would be. Or maybe I just grew immune to it. But even the 140 CFM fan jumped right off my desk, when I tested it.

That other fan looked like a real beast! ;)

Strat

I finally got my ram to work properly...took several PQI kits to do it and had to mix them up too.
Anyway, with 3 sticks it runs mid/high 30's to low 40's. With 4 sticks, low 40's to low 50.

(OC 250x15 at 1.44)

Back