• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe timings for Corsair VS CAS2.5 512 sticks.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GV2NIX

Any idea what the best stable timings are for these modules? I'm setting up a completely stock system with absolutely no overclocking of anything, so I want this to be 100% stable. I thought of just leaving it at 2.5-4-4-8, but if they can do better with tighter timings, please let me know. I don't have time to do memtest, so I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with this. Thanks! :)

SPD was weird and the mobo read the modules as 2.5-2-3-8. I didn't feel like having to clearing the BIOS if it didn't work, so I just loosened them to 2.5-4-4-8 from the start.

The rig has been gaming for about 4 hours with the RAM at 2.5-3-3-7 so I guess if they were going to fail, they would've failed long ago. Do you think 2.5-2-3-8 is worth a shot?

I keep forgetting which timings matter the most. The order goes, CAS-Trcd-Trp-Tras right? I think it was Trcd that made a big difference if memory serves (no pun intended). I also remember reading somewhere (probably some RAM 101 sticky) that Tras is usually the sum of CAS, Trcd, and Trp and having it lower than that doesn't really benefit much, with the exception of very tight timings such as 2-2-2-5. Anyways, I digress...

Here it is, I found it! Good to read up again every now and then.
Drisler said:
tRCD & tRP are usually equal numbers between 2 and 4. In tweaking for more overclockability, lower tRP first between these two

CAS should be either 2.0 or 2.5. Many systems, most nforce2, fail to boot with a 3.0 setting or have stability problems. CAS is not most critical of the various timings, unlike what is taught by many. In general, the importance of CAS when placed against tRP and tRCD is nominal. Reducing CAS has a relatively minor effect on memory performance, while lower tRP & tRCD values result in a much more substantial gain. In other words if you had to choose, 3-3-2.5 would be better than 4-4-2.0 (tRCD-tRP-CAS)

tRAS should always be larger the before mentioned timings. – see below
tRAS is unique, in that lowering it can lead to problems and lesser performance. tRAS is the only timing that has no effect on real performance, if it is configured as it should. By definition, real-life performance is the same with different tRAS settings with a certain exception. This document from Mushkin outlines how tRAS should be a sum of tRCD, CAS, and 2. For example, if you are using a tRCD of 2 and a CAS of 2 on your RAM, then you should set tRAS to 6. At values lower than that theory would dictate lesser performance as well as catastrophic consequences for data integrity including hard drive addressing schemes --- truncation, data corruption, etc --- as a cycle or process would be ended before it's done. How is it possible for memory timings to affect my hard drive? When the system is shut down or a program is closed, physical ram data that becomes corrupted may be written back to the hard drive and that’s where the consequences for the hard drive come in. Also let’s not forget when physical ram data is translated by the operating system to virtual memory space located on the hard drive.

While it's important to consider the advice of experts like Mushkin, your own testing is still valuable. Systems – both AMD & Intel alike, can indeed operate with stability with 2-2-2-5 timings, and even exhibit a performance gain as compared to the theoretically mandated 2-2-2-6 configuration. The most important thing in any endeavor is to keep an open mind, and don't spare the effort. Once you've tried both approaches extensively it will be clear to you which is superior for your particular combination of components.

Back