• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unstable Rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tenchi86

Hey, figured this was more FAH then a CPU problem. So anyway, my pc has been set to the same settings for about a year now. All has gone well, and it seemed pretty stable. I ran prime95 for around 30 hours, and FAH a few months ago for around 2 weeks without any problems. The last couple days though I have noticed that I get random freezes. Like I will be typing and all of the sudden the moniter freezes, though whatever I type will eventually appear. Same thing for when I try to maximize programs, they just freeze for a few seconds then go on like nothing happened. My temps are under 50C full load on a pressy so they are fine. I was wondering is there a way to check to see if this is FAH? Or should I just turn FAH off and see if it continues to happen?

Last edited:
I am also interested in this. More than half of my computers do the same thing. On the main system I just assumed it was a driver or something that was trying to catch up somewhere, but since I am seeing more complaints about this I am wondering.

It does not seem to be any one thing witha particular CPU I have several, from pentiums to VIAs. BUT...all the comps run on Windows 2K. Maybe that is the prob? something to do with that?

Edit: I recently booted my main comp using Knoppix. Had the same thing. possible it is hardware :shrug:

Last edited:
Is it possible you are experiencing memory swapping to disk while running a QMD? Perhaps one in a preconvergence state where it's using 350 MB of ram? Folding two QMDs?

I doubt it is hardware induced ... sometimes i get some lost mouse behaviour from my kvm's but never the keyboard.

I frequently will get it when video encoding which just hogs the cpu and uses lots of mem (and this doen't matter whether a QMD is folding or not). Possibly QMD, mem swap as ChasR suggests. Also, virus scanning is another possibility. Or a combination of several programs.

How often does it occur?

It was not happening to often, though last night it happened atleast 10 times. Also I was only folding a small 48 pointer last night and I havea gig of ram so I would doubt that. I was thinking maybe it is taking Windows to long to switch the CPU cycles to a new application? Thats why after a few seconds it fixs its self. Anyway this is really annoying and sense I am not the only one using this rig, I cant keep folding if this continues. Also I am on Windows Xp pro with all the latest updates and drivers, and I am running PC cillin 2005 as my AV.

Back