• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Important building questions??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neffirithion

Registered
Ok, for chirstmas I asked for a xbox360 (but since thats not gonna happen... :shrug: ) My parents asked me what I wanted next... So i started looking and found out i could upgrade my computer pretty well for about the price of a 360... so first I asked for a 540 P4 set up... then I looked at some benchmarks to notice that my current AMD processor blows it out of the water... now comes this quesiton...

I currently have a
AMD 3000+ (unknown core) 754 socket.

and was planning to get a
DFI nF4X Infinity Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce4-4X ATX AMD Motherboard

PNY VCG68128XWB Geforce 6800 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

2x OCZ Value Series 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model OCZ4001024V3

And just use the current IDE hardrives till i could afford a raptor
and mabye eventually upgrade mobo and processor to 939

But since the socket system is being slowly faded out, should i try to get a 939 socket set up and slowly upgrade it as money comes in? if I did this, do have a brandless 512 DDR 400 stick... so i have some stuff to work with, as for a case its also a brandless ATX with a 400W PSU

That looks pretty good but if u can afford it get a 7800GT blows the freakin 360 right out of the water.

:welcome: to the forums

First of all, replace that power supply with a good brand name one like a Fortron. If you just wait for that thing to go out, it could take out the rest of your computer with it. And trust me, a PSU that comes with a case (unless it's from Antec or TT or something) WILL blow up eventually. And there's really no need to go to socket 939 unless you're building a new computer. However, if you're planning to change the motherboard anyway, I'd say to change it to socket 939. If you change to socket 939 you'll have to replace the PSU anyway, since I think all s939 motherboards require a 24-pin connector.

Soichiro said:
:welcome: to the forums

First of all, replace that power supply with a good brand name one like a Fortron. If you just wait for that thing to go out, it could take out the rest of your computer with it.

I agree i mean my PSU was about 40 bucks and it's great no problems.

I'd say sell off your skt754 CPU and get a skt939 board and CPU. A simple $100 skt939 mobo, a 6800GS for $200, and what's leftover can deicide what kinda CPU you can afford.

Wow... that was a really quick responce.. thanks guys!! and the reason i was gonna upgrade the mobo was cause the one it has now doesn't have PCI-E slots... it was made for a computer class last year. Thanks for the input though! If i do upgrade to a 939, it would hard to pull all that off by christmas... and if i were to sell my 754 processor/mobo... how much should it go for? lol its just about perfect condition... never overclocked... and this is a bit off subject, besides newer technology coming out for it, and mabye a higher ability to oc it, what is better about 939?

JasonE4 said:
Yeah, I'd still stay away from Aspire though. Get a $40 Fortron if not something a little more expensive.
ok, may be stupid question... but why? also, what cheap (by cheap, >= $100) 939 mobo yall suggest?

but, i've been told by many people 500W is the way to go... so confused... lol (mobo question still stands if anyone wants to input)

Neffirithion said:
... my questionare is turning into a flame post.... :bang head
Lol, not really

Your thread:
One person: Get this PSU
Another person: Get this PSU instead

A real flame war:
A person: OMG THIS PSU IS T3H 1337EST GET IT OR I KILL J00!! :mad:
Another person: NO THIS PSU IS EVEN MORE 1337 BUY IT OR I KILL EVERYONE IN T3H WORLD!!!! BWAHAHAHAH!!! :argue:

Back