• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help a AMD'r out =)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hexen

Well I bought this mobo that supported a Slot A athlon classic chip,Not knowing at the time those were slowly fading away :eek: Anyway,I bought a 750 Slot A chip and am having no success in the OC in the BIOS,Can't change FSB or the V.Core.Anyone know any programs that could jump the FSB up a bit? Will re-post with comp specs and current FSB (Gotta go look :p )

Mmm I'm not sure about that,Thought that was for P's only,Or at least Slot 1 P's,But I found some information.BIOS wouldnt give me the FSB,I hate Award BIOS :mad: Cpu V.Core: 1.64,CPU: 100x7.5,FSB::confused:

No, the GFD is a distinctly "Athlon Only" device. You're not going to get very much through FSB, the KX133 and AMD 751 chipsets won't do much more than 110 FSB or so. You might have an FSB jumper (maybe) otherwise you're really out of luck without a GFD. If I'm not mistaken, GFD's can give you voltage and multiplier control, which is all you really need to get a CPU overclock.

Sorry to break ya the bad news to ya, I know you probably didnt want to hear that.

SickBoy

Well I don't care :p Getting pretty much all this stuff for christmas,Just need to find out where it is and a good price :) Thx!

Hexen said:
Well I don't care :p Getting pretty much all this stuff for christmas,Just need to find out where it is and a good price :) Thx!

I don't think there are any resellers that sell these anymore, but i could be wrong. you'll most likly have to get one off of ebay, or try the classifed ads section (front page)

Hmmm,I think the best way to go would be to just buy a new CPU and use the dips? I'm way sure when I get all my new cooling products (120MM fans 92MM fans 80MM fans a fanbus 2 bay coolers a HDD cooler card coolers slot coolers) a 850-900MHZ CPU should withstand the OC of 1000 MHZ.But still I face the one problem,The highest I've been able to find is an 800MHZ,Anyone reccomend any good sites to watch for them? Thanks for all your help guys :p

Well I did a check on CPU FSB chipsets and there capable of 200MHZ FSB,Btw there VIA Apollo KX133 chips.

Look at the chip ratings on the processors, i.e., being rated for 200 or 266 means that instead of just using one step of the cycle it's using both up, and down if you are using a DDR setup.

From what I have read, and done, its DDR everywhere, a slot A 750 Thunderbird will be on par with a 750 socket a thunderbird.
the max fsb you can get out of a KX133 is 120, which was rare back in the days of the slot a Athlon. My max fsb is 111 and thats with moding the chipset with a hs/f. The only problem with uping the FSB is if you have builtin cound card and are using it at high volumes you will get static out of the speakers.
My 550 Athlon Classic is at 611 right now (5.5x111) and my memory is at 133mhz as it makes system stable.
Think is with these athlon is unless you overclock with the Multi, the temps stay below 35, my max load is 32 from 26. On cold nights its 27, C. btw it helps to take teh caseing off the athlon for better cooling, and you will have to if your going to be using a GFD. here is a place that still sells them. I would get one had I no damaged the gold fingers on my athlons pcb. http://www.k7oc.com they have a very good one.

Back