• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD system for CAD.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

!!tio!!

Can you grade my system (or build a new one) and see whether it is suitable for the following programs?

Lightwave, Maya, 3D Studio Max, AutoCAD(is it a cad program?), Office, Encarta 2002 DVD, Adobe Photoshop, Priemere, Indesign, Macromedia Flash, Director, Dreamweaver, Freehand and Fireworks, Visual C++, Visual Basic, Ulead Cool3D and PhotoImpact.

Windows XP System

CPU: AMD Tbird 1000Mhz (200 FSB) AXIA-K
Cooling: Elen Water cool and Stars 700 Thermal + 2 Case Fan (Panaflow: Panasonic)
Motherboard: Abit KT7A with 3R BIOS, Direct X 8.0a,
Memory: 1 Micron PC133 128MB Ram on DIMM 1
1 Micron PC133 256MB ram on Dimm 2
PCI n AGP devices: Winfast GeForce 2 Pro 200/365 + Stars 700 thermal grease
Creative SB Value on PCI 2
Filand Realtek 8139 LAN Card (no WOL) PCI 3
Disks: Triplex 12x DVD On Sec Mas
Seagate 30Gb 7200 on Pri Mas
Others: Nec Floppy
Enermax 350W

Operation System: Microsoft® Windows XP RTM

I have been told that lightwave does not run on AMD systems. One day, when I have the time, I will try installing the retail version of lightwave on my system to verify this. That's just my warning. You may want to do a bit of research.

As for performance on lightwave, maya, 3dsmax and cad programs, insane power is far better. If you are planning on using these programs extensively, I would recommend a dual processor setup and a LOT more ram. For doing RAM previews in 3d programs, you need the ram to preview. I doubt your memory will hold more than 30 secs of info, most likely less.

For programs like Ulead and premier, I would very highly recommend a couple more hard drives. I made a 15 min film for my little sisters softball team that wound up taking up about 15gigs of information. The final video itself was 3gigs.

Everything else should be fine.

Now that I think of it, if you are a professional that uses all of those programs, you are a modern day renaissance man that could easily afford a system with quad processors and terabytes of storage.

But since that is doubtful, your system should do fine for what you need it for --except possibly for lightwave, which I haven't confirmed.

So is this OK now?

Motherboard to Shuttle AK31/Epox 8KHA +/MSI K7T266 Pro 2 (Which one is best for CAD + 3D?)

Ram: Theres only 256MB DDR ram! And these mobo has 3 slots only... so i can only have 768MB ram rite?

HDD: Add a Seagate 80GB.... will that be too hot? (7200rpm)

Do I need raid/scsi/Extra USB2 Firewire/Capture card?

Do I need 465W?

Get the 8KHA+ if you don't plan on overclocking over 160+ FSB. FOr some reason that board has boot issues with everyone I've seen.

Get a 512mb stick of DDR or 2 and stick it in that board.

Being a registered user of Lightwave I can assure you it runs on an AMD based system. Really if you are using this sort of software at a serious level you will be able to afford a Silicon Graphics Octane2 it's about $17,000, about the same price as Maya.

well ill say it this way, nice system, but autocad, especially if you do much 3d rendering it becomes a memory HOG!! Slap in some more ram.....which ever kind you wanna use......512mb would help alot in comparison to 256. besides ram is about as cheap as ever now.

Deleted by Moderator

Ok, what I meant to say was I hate dongles! They cause dirty, dirty hardware conflicts!

Last edited:
*Tio Etomac* said:
a 512MB DDR?
Hong Kong only have Micron(not crucial), Kingmax and Samsung DDR!

order from the net.....don't buy crap

and...you know you are using illegal stuff right...

and panaflo is not panasonic....

Originally posted by Wahoogie
Get the 8KHA+ if you don't plan on overclocking over 160+ FSB. FOr some reason that board has boot issues with everyone I've seen.

Get a 512mb stick of DDR or 2 and stick it in that board.

this board is known to be able to do 170fsb...at least according to what i see on a magazine

Back