• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Expected PPD??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WedgeWhacko

From a Mini-Mac?

I just can't see this thing pushing out more than 100ppd.

The reason I ask.... the Wife wants one ...Arrrgggghhh

She says it's cute...Yuck....

she refuses to use my computer and wants that instead of a Laptop.

Researching this thing makes me cringe....sure it can run HER type of programs but what can it really do in terms of folding? I mean this thing is just a fricken powerbook stripped down....
I might get her this just because she wants it...however I cannot come to grips with the industry moving to a smaller look....I mean what's next my desk will have room for more fake plants?

someone out there give me a reason to get this for her...if it can't fold better than a P3 then she will be SOL.

Try and persuade her to get a nice little small form factor box (some of those can be cute) and put a Pentium-M in it and plenty RAM. ;)

Welcome to the forums btw :)

thanks...I have been on the forums for a couple of years...however I rarely like to post.

However I do wish I started folding earlier...arrrggghhhh climbing the ranks seem so difficult.

Well on the cute part I guess I might go away from the mini mac and convince her of your suggestion however I am an AMD guy...
but willing to go to the darkside this once to keep the little lady happy.

WedgeWhacko said:
thanks...I have been on the forums for a couple of years , my post count is low because I seem to find all the info I need without asking...

However I do wish I started folding earlier...arrrggghhhh climbing the ranks seem so difficult.

Well on the cute part I guess I might go away from the mini mac and convince her of your suggestion however I am an AMD guy...
but willing to go to the darkside this once to keep the little lady happy.

Ah I suggested P-M cos of the low heat output... could always go Turion instead I guess :>

well it looks like I'll be able to talk her into accepting my proposal.

however I am confused now on either going Dothan or Turion....

hmmm I could fold with either one but for folding Which one would give the best boost to PPD....

Check out the Geode systems might go under the name of AMD PIC (Personal Internet Computer). "Cute as a button" LMAO

No seriously, you can get one of the Shuttle or Asus barebone AMDs and still have a nice box to fold on and it's small enough for her to fall in love with. Stick with AMD Sempron,Turion,Dothan or Better, the VIA/Cyrix processors are lame folders.

Now if I can get my wife to stop drooling on my ASUS Terminator.

Last edited:
oh, and in case you don't know, Aopen is planning to release a (almost 100%) mini-mac lookalike small form factore PC for the upcoming Yonah!! certainly the best of both world, mini-mac looksalike (cute!) and have the dualcore power of folding!! ;)

I planned to build a SFF Yonah to put in my room as a HTPC client so I can watch all the recorded shows and movie collection from the HTPC server downstair! ;)

Back