• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Auto core voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GE

Registered
My CPU Vcore is controlled by the mainboard automatically.... when O/Cing will more voltage be given to the chip if it needs it or should I change it to manual and increase the voltage that way? Also there's a DDR voltage... am I correct in thinking that this needs to be upped when O/Cing the bus?

thanks!

i don't thiink it will as a matter of fact there is a device on the market that fits on your socket the you put the cpu on it and then you can increase your Vcore.

no... I have the option in the BIOS to set it to manual and then alter the voltages as I please, I was wondering if the mobo would give the voltage the chip requires and keep checking all the time or if the 'auto' bit was simply the mobo reading information off the chip (ie it reads that it's an Athlon and that the voltage should be set to XX volts...) and then giving that to the chip.

I'm not exactly clear on the particulars of your question, but I'll give it a shot.
When I'm attempting to find my overclock I always begin with the FSB, I find my most stable FSB (while using a low multiplier, and stock or auto core voltage) I will increase the mem, and vio voltage to the max (Do this at your own risk) in determining my FSB speed.
I will at that point lower my FSB back to stock, and then work on the multiplier, beginning with stock/auto vcore, and then when it crashes or particularly won't boot in windoze, I will increase the vcore until it does or it gets to hot.
Always keep an eye on those temps!
Good Luck!

generally speaking the autovoltage just reads the chip. It won't give it much more than that. The memory thing, some people say when they add voltage anywhere it gives them more stability. Go ahead and knock yourself out with that mem voltage, but only if things aren't stable.

cool. now, the BIOS only lets me do certain settings, are all these safe or is it possible to fry RAM simply by upping BIO voltage too much? do different RAm manufaturers take different voltages?

many thanks!

Different types of RAM have different voltage requirements, i.e., SDram, DDram, RDram, but as far as DDr, you should be fine with different mfgs. I have several different sticks, from different people, I've ran them all at max voltage on two different mobos. The epox 8k7a+, and the iwill ka266plus. No damage I am aware of.

Back