• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hurry before gone opteron 144 in stock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ochungry said:
mwave has it in stock for $149. hurry.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/ViewProducts.hmx?PID=CPU-TBIRD&updepts=CPU&DNAME=Processors+-+CPU

The tankguy had opteron 146 for $175 yesterday and mwave had it in stock for $165.
today mwave no stock and both mwave and tankguy jack up the price.
I hope tankguy is not buying them to make it out of stock and then raising the price.
Dirty, isnt it?
first creat a rumer, then creat a shortage.
I know I wont be buying jack from tankguy. hope no one buys there either.

Tankguys did not create the rumor. It was around before he posted it and at the time, it was very valid. Heck it still is considering AMD doesn't want these cpus going in anything else but server mobos. Numerous other sources said the exact thing that Tankguys said. His prices reflect what he bought them for and what profit he has to make. Heck when I bought my 144 he actually lost money on the deal as he did with the other 40 or so people that bought from him at that time.

Get your facts right. Tankguys did everyone a service by informing us of what he did. The fact still stands that these opties are still up in the air, it's up to AMD whether or not they want to keep shipping them if they know the retailer won't sell them only in server boards or for server use.

And upon reading your post you are saying that Tankguys literally bought out another companies supply of 144s? It's already been posted where he's getting his from. Tankguys is a very reputable person/company and I know that I'm not the only person to feel this way on this site.

Just to top the cake with icing

"(*Limit 1pcs/customer)" -mwave

Last edited:
Mooyo said:
Tankguys did not create the rumor. It was around before he posted it and at the time, it was very valid. Heck it still is considering AMD doesn't want these cpus going in anything else but server mobos. Numerous other sources said the exact thing that Tankguys said. His prices reflect what he bought them for and what profit he has to make. Heck when I bought my 144 he actually lost money on the deal as he did with the other 40 or so people that bought from him at that time.

Get your facts right. Tankguys did everyone a service by informing us of what he did. The fact still stands that these opties are still up in the air, it's up to AMD whether or not they want to keep shipping them if they know the retailer won't sell them only in server boards or for server use.

And upon reading your post you are saying that Tankguys literally bought out another companies supply of 144s? It's already been posted where he's getting his from. Tankguys is a very reputable person/company and I know that I'm not the only person to feel this way on this site.

Just to top the cake with icing

"(*Limit 1pcs/customer)" -mwave

Agreed. He IS doing US a favor, by actually selling them to us (meaning those of us who use non-server s939 boards, which is all of us:). So, like Mooyo said, he has to jack up the prices a little bit to make a profit off what he is selling. It is fair. AMD officially said they were going to continue making the 100 series, but sell them to server based consumers. So in a sense, to continue receiving the Opteron's from AMD, TankGuys have to at least put a disclaimer up, saying they do not officialy support the use of Opteron's in non-server s939 motherboards. They're saving their asses, and I would do the same.

So, hope that clears it up.

OC/ingmaddog said:
Agreed. He IS doing US a favor, by actually selling them to us (meaning those of us who use non-server s939 boards, which is all of us:). So, like Mooyo said, he has to jack up the prices a little bit to make a profit off what he is selling. It is fair. AMD officially said they were going to continue making the 100 series, but sell them to server based consumers. So in a sense, ton continue receiving the Opteron's from AMD, TankGuys have to at least put a disclaimer up, saying they do not officialy support the use of Opteron's in non-server s939 motherboards. They're saving their asses, and I would do the same.

He's not jacking up the prices, what I mean is he has to buy them at a certain price and has to sell based upon that. Like if he's getting them from his supplier for $160 he can't very well sell them for the $145 I bought mine for earlier, not that he is purposely jacking the price up like Newegg had the 144 for close to $200 before.

EDIT - cleared up post some

Mooyo said:
He's not jacking up the prices, what I mean is he has to buy them at a certain price and has to sell based upon that. Not that he is purposely jacking the price up like Newegg had the 144 for close to $200 before.

Like if he's getting them from his supplier for $160 he can't very well sell them for the $145 I bought mine for earlier.

Oh, alright. I understand what you're saying...:). Thanks for clarifying.

Yea, didn't want to make it seem like Tankguys was doing anything wrong. Honestly the only company/person/whathaveyou I've bought from that was more than willing to answer any questions and go out of their way to help you along the whole transaction.

ochungry said:
Yesterday tankguy had it for $175, while was available @ mwave for $165.
Today mwave out of stock and both tankguy and mwave jacked up the price. thankguy is selling it for $185 (a $10 increase from yesterday).
I call this jacking up/gouging according to demand.
AMD's price guide is $112 (if I recall), for distributer. a 15 percent increase for little guys will put the price to less than $130. Originally 6 months ago opteron 146 was $145 top and A64 3000 was $156. Today opteron 146 is not less than $185, but A64 3000 is about $135. Both A64 and Opteron are based on 939. AMD is changing to M2 and 939 just as Sampron should drop in price.
But we dont see the sam trend for Opteron 939. why?
Is demand and overclocking has something to do w/ it? yes
Are tankguy, newegg, Mwave, monarch etc are taking advantage of this and ripping consumer off? you bet you.
What is the diference between gasoline price gouging and opteron price gouging? none, both sellers are crooks.

TankGuys are NOT crooks! They have to raise their prices because AMD is selling them to TankGuys at higher prices. And I don't see how you can compare gasoline prices to opteron prices, you need gas, you don't need an opteron. Yes it may be supply and demand, and if it is, then what are we going to do about it?

Just an fyi, the 144 is oos at digitalhotbuy.com. I ordered on a few hours ago, and received an email from them just a few minutes ago stating that they are now oos.

Chucky Da Pwner said:
Just an fyi, the 144 is oos at digitalhotbuy.com. I ordered on a few hours ago, and received an email from them just a few minutes ago stating that they are now oos.

Damn it! I just got an email too!. Argh. I'll try Keenzo in the morning.

ochungry said:
Yesterday tankguy had it for $175, while was available @ mwave for $165.
Today mwave out of stock and both tankguy and mwave jacked up the price. thankguy is selling it for $185 (a $10 increase from yesterday).
I call this jacking up/gouging according to demand.
AMD's price guide is $112 (if I recall), for distributer. a 15 percent increase for little guys will put the price to less than $130. Originally 6 months ago opteron 146 was $145 top and A64 3000 was $156. Today opteron 146 is not less than $185, but A64 3000 is about $135. Both A64 and Opteron are based on 939. AMD is changing to M2 and 939 just as Sampron should drop in price.
But we dont see the sam trend for Opteron 939. why?
Is demand and overclocking has something to do w/ it? yes
Are tankguy, newegg, Mwave, monarch etc are taking advantage of this and ripping consumer off? you bet you.
What is the diference between gasoline price gouging and opteron price gouging? none, both sellers are crooks.

AMD's pricing =/= what retailers have to sell it as. There's people inbetween AMD and the retailer. Mwave may have gotten a shipment cheaper from someone, great for them. Tankguys didn't. Now yes I don't know exactly what each company paid for each shipment and then how much they marked them up, but niether do you. I've done business with Tankguys in the past and he was more than willing to explain much of the process, whereas you haven't. You have absolutely no right to call Tankguys a crook having no real knowledge of the internal workings. It's not just a company but a member of these forums.

The difference between oil and opterons is that it's a very real possibility our opterons are going bye bye. The amount of oil/gas isn't going away at nearly the same rate.

And your 3000 comparison isn't fair, as they simply aren't going to make anymore of them.

If you should be ticked off at anyone it's the distributers. If they are getting the cpus from AMD for the same amount of money but selling them higher to retailers, they are the ones ripping you off. It's like your local BP station for example(or whatever's similar). Using Minnesota as an example, gas stations have to make an 8 cent profit on each gallon of gas sold. I know someone who does own a gas station and he prices it exactly at 8 cents above what he bought it from. Not a cent higher. It's not him that's ripping off the customer who's buying gas it's the provider.

Again, until you have any knowledge (and by knowledge I mean what he bought them for as well as any other relevant factors) of why Tankguys prices have risen I'd appreciate it if you would not call him a crook.

Jame Gumb said:
Tank's said they get the Opty 144's for 10-25% more than $111.00. Someone break that down..... I'm too tired.
$122-$139.

Anyways, the way things are regarding price jacking; that's capitalism for you. As the consumer, it's your job to find the cheapest CPU from a reliable source. It's the business's responsibility to make as much money as possible. They can either take the straightforward route by dramatically jacking up prices, or only jack prices up only slightly, therefore selling more CPUs to make up the difference.

ochungry,

If you had 3 cpus for sale and it was limited in supply and you had 10 people wanting it, would you sell it for the smallest markup, or would you try to get as much as you could?

AMD has a price it charges for the cpu, but if you give it some thought, you might realize that businesses have other costs to recover, in addition to just the cost to procure the inventory. There is storage costs (rent for a warehouse or storage unit), there is insurance on that merchandise, costs to maintain your website, phone, office supplies, shipping, there are personnel costs, payroll taxes, and income taxes, to name a few. Not all merchandise sells, so there is the cost of writing down worthless inventory (perhaps TankGuys is holding on to about 100 or so Winchesters and a few extra S754 that no one purchased?). The point is that you can't just go with the AMD price as your measuring stick and say that a business's selling price should be based solely on the cost of the inventory.

But the most important thing to consider is the fact that people go into business to make money. If they can't make money, they close down. Some products afford the opportunity to make a profit above normal and others force you to sell at discounts, in the end, a minimun total profit is required (return on investment) in sufficient amount to reward the business owner for the risks of running the business, otherwise you just take your money and put it in a safe savings account and earn your 2%-4% and be done with it.

If you don't like dealing with someone it is clearly your choice, but if you were on the other side (TG's), I have a feeling that your perspective might just be a tad different.

Just some food for thought.

ochungry said:
James, below is their own qoutation. So even @ %25 that puts opty 144 to
$138.75. why is it @ $163 then?
"There is a lot of confusion on this topic. The most important thing to note is that the prices listed on AMD's website are NOT the MSRP. The prices listed there are the prices quoted to top level, tier one distributors/purchasers who buy directly from AMD in 1,000 unit minimum quantities. They do not include any costs incurred by the various distributors, retailers, or the profit margins built in by the various levels of suppliers. For reference sake, our current wholesale costs on these are 10-25% higher than the prices listed on the AMD website."

I understand why you think this... and I don't really blame you. However, even if you don't beleive me, it's not a 'price gouging' issue. To be honest, much of this is not obvious to someone who does not run a business, so let me attempt to explain again.

Let's look at the 144's:

My cost on the shipment I am getting today was $145. Yes, $145. I currently have my price online at $163. The first thing off the top is my ~3% CC processing fees, which comes to about $5. Now I have a "profit" of $13 each. Next comes packing materials, which run me about $1 for each processor (I am rounding up a bit for simplicity sake; it's actually costs around $0.75). Now I'm down to $12. I won't even get into the fact that we lost a good amount of money to a few jerks out there who commit credit card fraud... so for each theft, it takes me 14-15 real sales just to catch up... but we'll ignore that.

The next thing to consider is the myriad of other costs I have: Hosting, advertising, utilities, shipping, monthly fees for my various accounts, etc. As I would assume is obvious, I have to mark up my stuff enough to *at least* pay for all of that. Once you figure in all of this, I'm down to about $6 MAYBE $8 per processor.

Next, let's consider the labor involved. You have no idea how much time and energy I have spent trying to source these things; let alone packaging/shipping/posting on forums about them.

Finally, consider this: My business right now "employs" 5 people: Me, my wife, the other owner, his wife, and Erik. That's FIVE people I have to try and support off this business. We got a total of 50 146's, and 75 144's coming in right now, for a total of 125 processors. If I make even $10 per processor, which is too high as already mentioned, that's $1250. Split 5 ways. Before we pay the business income tax on it, and before we "employees" pay personal income tax on it. Thus, each of us will see maybe $150 from these opterons, when all is said and done.

Still seem like I'm a crook?

Next, consider that aside from these opterons, a fair number of DFI boards, some X2's, and some Asus boards, we don't sell much, since our prices are higher than newegg, mwave, et al. These opteron sales have been our biggest... which means that $150 I'm making off these chips is about all I'm making off this business for a few weeks.

Can you live on $300 a month?

Neither can I, which is why I ALSO work a full time job to support myself, as does my wife, the other owner, and his wife, as well as Erik.

So, five of us run this business, on top of full time jobs, we make next to nothing for doing it, and spend 30+ hours a week on it, EACH. For the less inclinded, that means we each make about $2.50 per hour if we are lucky.

I would respectfully ask you to refrain from calling me a crook, because you obviously have no idea.

EDIT: Implying that I would buy out another company to jack up the prices and screw everyone over is extremly offensive, and is entirely untrue.

Last edited:
What's the point of operating a business if you're only making $2.50 an hour? Seems like a hard thing to believe. Any geek off the street can work in a fast-food joint doing next to nothing and net more than that.

hmmm, flip burgers or sell computer parts? what sounds more fun? hmm, that's a toughie. :rolleyes:

Back