• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P5WDG2-WS i975x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markodude

Is this the new board to go for? Or the P5WD2-E or something else....to replace my P5ND2-SLI.....thx

P5WD2-E Prem. is the newest mobo 975X chipset.

best part is its out in canada already....360 bux though :(

The one I mentioned is also 975x but comes with PCI-X slots....nice for RAID cards, or as I plan 10GbE - I wont buy it if it is not the best overclocker though.....need to have a look at the P5WD2-E

Crimedog - I see you earned your name for your powers of deduction!

Seriously though....I had worked that one out......hence the PCI-X type slots......as long as it clocks well I dont give a hoot if it is a BTX Server board....

Last edited:
There are only a few threads/previews out there with the WS that I've seen, but none have achieved "good" (IMHO) FSB. I don't know what your idea of "clocks well" is, but be careful when looking at these high clocks on Cedar Mill/Presslers. All the ones I've seen are unlocked ES and FSB on the WS boards hangs around 265-270 only and increased clocks come from upped multipliers, not FSB. Higher FSB generally makes for a better OC than simply a high CPU clock.

What I want to know is if any of the 65nms will have something similar to LockFree (not SpeedStep/EIST) like the 560-570s/660-670s.

ZZF has the P5WD2-E in their catalog for $249, but they are currently out of stock.

NODES said:
P5WD2-E Prem. is the newest mobo 975X chipset.

best part is its out in canada already....360 bux though :(

did you mean the p5wd2 mobo has a 955x chipset?

Im looking for 300FSB really. The 950 CPU I am getting will be an ES - but so is my 840 and it only has 14/15/16x multis....hoping this will have 15x so I can run 300x15, with DDR@1000 (got some Kingston 900mhz on the way).

I am really considering the P5N32-SLI - I like my P5ND2 a lot more with the 0905 BIOS and I think it can be a great rig. I reckon I need the WS for PCMARK and the N32 for 3DMARK.....one worry is migrating my 4 drive RAID 0 setup to the Intel chipset board - I dont think 955/975 supports 4 drive RAID0 - Im getting 172Mb/s in SANDRA on the drives and dont want to lose that.

Bapski - your sig - is your top PCM04 score 8174 (says 05)? You beat me on this but not in 05....weird.....whats your compare link? That score even beats my old Dual Xeon rig at 8109, that got me in the top 5 for a while until Dual Core came out.

i975x wont support SLI any more than i955x will, it's nvidia that's holding SLI on intel chipsets back. we know that the i955x will hit an easy 300mhz fsb right out of the box, unless they do something terribly wrong i975x should too (i'm referring to the p5wd2 series). Either board is going to support your 950.

The ICH7R southbridge has four sata ports and supports RAID 0/1/5/1+0. You'll probably have to rebuild your array but it's certainly supported.

did you mean the p5wd2 mobo has a 955x chipset?
P5WD2 Preminum = 955X
P5WD2-E = 975X

crime/mark: crime is right about SLI & 955X...SLI doesn't work on them simply because nV drivers don't support it. I remember a long time ago that someone got SLI working on it with some early version hacked nV drivers before nV fixed that "bug".

I would expect the 975X to hit 300FSB no problem...just wondering why we haven't seen that yet no matter how low the multis are set. For as high as the procs clock, that really should be a no-brainer since both my procs did it on air. I was just wondering if it was something specific to the 975X WS board that may limit it.

Ross said:
P5WD2 Preminum = 955X
P5WD2-E = 975X

crime/mark: crime is right about SLI & 955X...SLI doesn't work on them simply because nV drivers don't support it. I remember a long time ago that someone got SLI working on it with some early version hacked nV drivers before nV fixed that "bug".

I would expect the 975X to hit 300FSB no problem...just wondering why we haven't seen that yet no matter how low the multis are set. For as high as the procs clock, that really should be a no-brainer since both my procs did it on air. I was just wondering if it was something specific to the 975X WS board that may limit it.

Its crazy - I was hitting 320FSB on an 875 board years ago with a 3.06 Mobile ES.....we have not came that far in terms of FSB bandwidth and scalability.
Anyway, it seems unless we get SLI approved on the 975x platform it is a no-go for me, or I have to change to Crossfire. All I want is a rig that will improve all of my benchmarks....I think the easiest way to do that is to keep my current board until something a lot better comes along.....I have been looking at Dual, Dual Core Xeons (Bensley) or even better Dual, Dual Core Yonahs, plus SLI, that will probably be the next feasible upgrade unless Nvidia make a better chipset....

PS Your clocks are mental - is that just water cooled?

LOL, no those OCs are on phase. I wish those clocks would be possible on water, BUT it's looking a lot like 5GHz clocks could be possible with Cedar Mills/Presslers on water. So far I've seen 4.8GHz on air and stable enough to finish a 32M SuperPi run!

As for the SLI thing, that is pretty much just nV being d!cks. As to whether or not they want to sell more vid cards or mobos, I guess time will tell (if they release SLI drivers for Intel chipsets). They'll cut into their own chipset market, but open up an whole new one with Intel users.

Conroe will be 1333FSB (333) default and the pipeline is only 14 steps long (opposed to Prescott/Cedar Mill which are 31) so that big jump up you are looking for is coming soon. The mobos are pretty much already here and the Conroe release date has been moved up to this summer. I also just more or less found out that the 975X chipset WILL support Conroes, so I am now thinking I may buy a 975X board right off the bat to go with the 65nm....then I can just drop in a Conroe when they come out.

I can see where switching to CF would suck though. x1600XTs in CF would rock-n-roll though. A lot cheaper than a single x1800XT and they beat it, but if you want insane 3D scores, x1800XTs in CF will be sick $$$ to make the switch...

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I just wanted to clear some things up. I called in to a local dealer of mine and ordered the first P5WD2-E; I just wanted to know if the 975 chipset can support Presler or Crossfire.

Thanks!
-GearShift3r

@gearshifter - yes and yes!

@Ross - Thought it must be phase, I really want to build my own phase rig, my father in law has a refrigeration business so I can access all the parts just dont have the know how!
Also I thought even Dual X1800XT in crossfire would not match dual 7800GTX in SLI?

mark, yeah, it would be a lot easier to build your own if you can get gas and charge it yourself. If your father in law runs a refrigeration business, half your battle is over. Aside from that, it's hard parts and brazing them together. You should really read up on Xtremesystems.org. They have calcs for cap tube length and pretty much everything you need...just nothing really like a step-by-step. There is plenty of great info, but you'll need to just sit, dig, read and take notes.

Comps are kind of easy by comparison, but what you will want to buy from Chilly1 or someone there is the condenser and evaporator. Chilly1's evap heads are the about the best and the mounting system works very well. If you're lazy like me, he'll build you a unit ready to go a lot cheaper with better cooling/capacity then an off-the-shelf Mach II GT or Vapochill LS or he can just sell you all the hard parts you need, you put it together and charge it/wire it.

The 1800XTs are getting there. nV didn't exactly hit the ground running with SLI either and now ATI is in the same boat. The latest drivers were released as well as the x1800 master cards. It really depends on the particular test and who is doing them, but they all pretty much hang with the 7800GTXs or beat them. To be fair, I don't remember if they were 512 or 256MB 7800s though. Anyway, they're pretty good and will only get better as the setup matures.

Yes, Conroe should kick a$$!!

Ross said:
Conroe will be 1333FSB (333) default and the pipeline is only 14 steps long (opposed to Prescott/Cedar Mill which are 31) so that big jump up you are looking for is coming soon. The mobos are pretty much already here and the Conroe release date has been moved up to this summer. I also just more or less found out that the 975X chipset WILL support Conroes, so I am now thinking I may buy a 975X board right off the bat to go with the 65nm....then I can just drop in a Conroe when they come out.
QUOTE]

Check that info. From what I read 1333FSB hasn't been actually spec'd out by Intel. Max clocks either

1066 is still the official slate, but many think it will come in at 1333 when finally released. Hell, every one of my last 3 Intels went 333 FSB or faster so even if it comes in at 266, MINE will be running at 333 or higher :D

I am already @ 1600 (see the 5.6GHz link in my sig)...I'd like to see 1800 :D

Back