• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shouldn't my X-Fi XtremeMusic play Battlefield 2 on Ultra High setting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Procharger

Well I installed my X-Fi XtremeMusic and got my Battlefield 2 sound settings up to High but for some reason it won't allow me to pick Ultra High. Is there a reason why it's doing this? I figured this sound card could run circles around any kind of game sound thrown at it this early in its life! :bang head

I'm not sure, but maybe BF2 needs the 64mb of RAM onboard the sound card, which only comes on X-FI Fatal1ty and Elite Pro editions.

Cullam3n said:
I'm not sure, but maybe BF2 needs the 64mb of RAM onboard the sound card, which only comes on X-FI Fatal1ty and Elite Pro editions.

I second that. I think BF2 is one of the first games to use that 64MB of RAM on the sound card.

If you don't know what game mode means return the sound card and never touch a computer again ;) ALL x-fi models run bf2 in ultra high x-fi mode.

So the extra RAM just caches the sound data on the sound card instead of the system memory?

Does this increase the performance of the game, or does it allow for uncompressed audio data that just sounds better? (or both...)

From what i remember reading, the difference is incredibly small, so technically yes, it improves gameplay. but nothing like what using a software codec vs a 3d sound card will give you. i am almost thinkin around 3% ish? if taht.

Prodigious said:
If you don't know what game mode means return the sound card and never touch a computer again ;) ALL x-fi models run bf2 in ultra high x-fi mode.

I know what game mode is and I'm sure I'm in game mode. I guess I'll recheck my setting to be sure but it may be something else I have set I don't know for sure I guess I'll have to play around with it a while.

Funny thing, I thought it was my sound card drivers from my on board set up on my old Hard Drive but I just reloaded two new SATA drives with everything selecting game mode for my sound card but Ultra High is not a setting once again within BF2. I wonder if it's something crazy going on with my motherboard (I'm pretty sure I didn't load my motherboard sound card drivers) or just maybe it's my current setting with my X-Fi

Back