• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

500MHz HTT on the DFI Expert . . . This board rocks!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Revivalist

500httwithhighlights3iv.jpg

As you can tell, I'm havin, lots of fun playing with the DFI Expert. . . Man, this board rocks! :D. . .

It was able to do 500MHz HTT with a 2.5x LDT multiplier so the HT frequency is at 500MHz x 2.5 = 1250MHz (which is 1250MHz x 2 = 2500MHz data rate). Sisoft shows those values (in the red box in the pic).

In the Anantech review, "Mr. Icee" said he reached 512MHz HTT on the Expert using ClockGen. But I don't know how he did it because ClockGen seems to max out at 500MHz (as you can tell in the pic). I even tried to go further using the "ghost mode" feature but it didn't work. How did he do it?!!

Also, I can't get ClockGen to let me change the the FID/VID values. Notice in the picture it's greyed out. I installed the Opteron drive from the AMD website, I tried "auto" and "manual" for the CPU FID and VID in the BIOS but nothing seems to work? Anyone know why?

Last edited:
Very nice, though I can't get your picture to work right? Its still small when clicked on.

Eldonko said:
/nod Expert is a great board, best I have ever owned. 99% of the problems people are complaining about = user error. :shrug:
I definately agree that it's the best board I have ever had. (Although, I've only ever owned one other board, an ASUS A8V. :) . . . But nonetheless, I can tell that this board destroys most of the competition.)

As for most problems being "user error," I don't know if I agree with that. Over at XS forums, there's a lot of guys who definately know what they're doing but the board still fried their CPUs and even RAM in some cases. I'm pretty sure it's a fault with the board. . . . But as far as performance goes, I definately agree that anyone who says this board can't clock well, probably just hasn't learned how to really use all the settings and tweak things to the max. This board is all about tweaking. . . . "UV on, tweak fun!" :p . . . . (I had to say that! :) )

Revivalist said:
But as far as performance goes, I definately agree that anyone who says this board can't clock well, probably just hasn't learned how to really use all the settings and tweak things to the max. This board is all about tweaking.

That's the point I was trying to make. Expert is for people with patience and some skills - "experts". I can see why AG would go off the deepend with the amount of people that dont know what they are doing blaming everything on the MB. :bang head

For the CPU deaths, that might have been a BIOS screw up, fault manu sample release, or just coincidence, no one knows for sure. When you have a CPU that has held a WR for a long time, it has been through hell and back, overvolted, and abused. Maybe the board killed the CPU, or maybe it was on its last legs when it was put in the board. Then when it happens to one or two people, everyone gets paranoid and if any hardware dies, who do they blame? Anyway, enough about that, everything has already been said 10 times over at XS.

What does that high of an HTT get you if your ram is still at 250mhz? I thought the LDT bus was so wide that the only reason to really raise htt was to achive a higher processor speed with lower multipliers, hence the reason to use dividers too.

pwnt by pat said:
What does that high of an HTT get you if your ram is still at 250mhz? I thought the LDT bus was so wide that the only reason to really raise htt was to achive a higher processor speed with lower multipliers, hence the reason to use dividers too.
Absolutely nothing...might as well just use 250HTT x5 LDT. Exact same performance, same HyperTransport bus width as well. Not to undermine the result though. 500MHz does look cool. I had somewhere around 400MHz about a year ago, but never bothered to get a screenshot.

As far as the board goes, I know some extremely skilled people who had to go through a couple of them before getting one that worked properly.

He is just trying to show that the board can handle high HTT. Some top out at 300 or so (I have an A8V that stops at 260 HTT), this shows you can push the HTT with a 9 or 8x multi.

wow, thats a sick *** board! Im sure that opty will do well if sub zero cooled with that kind of HTT speed! I would love to see some kind of superpi for that!!

Hey, thanks for all the replies guys!

@ Tankguys – Yeah, that is funny seeing 2GHz on a 4x multi, come to think of it. :)

@ pwnt by pat, Gautam – It’s true there’s no real practical use for such a high HTT. Even a 8x CPU would only need 375MHz HTT to hit 3.0GHz. I actually just ran this test out of curiosity to see what the board can do. I was also testing to see what the CPU can do. I’m in the process of testing a bunch of Opterons and this was the highest HTT clocker. The next highest could only get up to 455MHz! I guess this one had a really strong memory controller. . . . Oh yeah, and one more thing . . . I wanted to see if I could rival Mr. Icee who did 512MHz HTT in the Anandtech Review. . . I still don’t understand how he used ClockGen to go to 512MHz since ClockGen seems to max out at 500MHz. (As you can see in the pic.) Any ideas on this?

@autolex84 – Actually, believe it or not, SuperPi was the secret for me to hit a HTT that high. For some reason I found that as long as I had SuperPi running, I could inch up the HTT 5MHz at a time until I hit 500MHz and it was somewhat stable (it could possibly even finish SuperPi). But if I didn’t have SuperPi running or I used more than 5MHz increments, it would crash. . . .

@d94 – I wish I could do that. Unfortunately, 500MHz isn’t stable enough to be used as a daily setting. And the RAM would have to be on a hefty divider anyways . . .

Ok, I’m off to finish testing Optys. :)

Last edited:
Back