• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fails to turn on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snick

Power issues.. please help!

I came home a week ago after being gone for 3 days and my computer was totally dead. I tested the psu and it would not turn on at all.

So I ordered another psu hopeing that was all that was wrong with it. I got the new psu today and the mobo led light comes on and fans have power for about a half a second then they turn off. I disconnected basically everything accept the needed hardware to boot up but it still does not.

The psu that died was a seasonic 400w tornado
I recently bought the thermaltake tr2 430w because it was only 30$

Can anyone tell me some ways to troubleshoot this problem further?
Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Did you try resetting the CMOS? If so, its possible that you had a power surge or something like it, and toasted some components. Jumper the PSU like this
plug.gif

making sure you use pin 14 and any ground. This should work even if its a newer 24pin. If the PSU works OK, you know you have deeper problems.

I was just thinking that possibly there was a power surge at my place while I was gone and it fryed some hardware.

I tested the seasonic psu the way shown in the picture you posted before I ordered a new one last week which is how I could tell it was dead.

I also reset the cmos a couple times before and after swapping the psu's and it did nothing.

Im starting to think that its the motherboard now.
I tested all of my hardware accept the cpu in a second computer I have and they all worked. The new psu also turns on using the wire method to turn it on without the mobo.

Could it be the battery on the mobo thats dead? I know it does the same thing with the fans when the battery is removed and you try to boot up.

Last edited:
It could be the battery. Its cheap enough to replace one first and try it out, before a major expenditure. If that's not the problem though, either the CPU or mobo(or both) could be fried.

Back