• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron 144 vs. 146 vs. 148?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CreePinG_DeatH

Are these chips, assuming steppings don't matter, virtually capable of reaching the same clock speeds? Meaning I should choose the one with the lower price?

No, the higher the multiplier, the easier it is to OC. If it comes stock at a higher clock speed, of course you'd then have to work "less" to OC it, thus almost "guaranting" your desired clock speed. I've seen 144s hit 3.3ghz while 148s dont even get that high. The higher the multiplier does mean it should technically OC higher, but then all the 144, 146, 148 would max out at around the same clock speed, which is around 2.8-3.0ghz, sometimes lower, many people have gotten varied results.

I'd say get the cheapest one if you are confident in your ram and mobo and etc, if you get the more expensive ones, ie 148, it would generally be "easier" to OC to 2.8ghz or whatever, but then it's not guaranteed. Considering how new these Opterons are, it's hard to determine which steppings OC well, mainly because of limited supplies.

Thank you both for your replies. I'll try and find a cheap one then. I have to switch to an ASrock because my abit nf7-s died and I want to use the same video card, ram etc.

Will I need to change my ram as well? Right now I have pc3200, crucial. I mean, from what you said, I would have to run the ram faster than it should for pc3200. No?

ochungry said:
You are better off w/ higher multi if expecting sure overclocking.
11x270 =2930mhz is a sure thing
9x330=2930 is not. and you can bet $1m not stable.
specially when you want to do 1:1 ratio for rams
there are a spectrum of rams that will do 270 MHz, even 2x1gig.
but you will never find any ram do 330mhz,
If you are planning to oc for trophy and benchmarks, and have your house plumbing system take care of CPU heat and have your hardware wrecked on the table, then yes it is possible to do 3ghz w/ 144opteron but no guarantee.
w/ 11x multi, you are at ease.
Also seek other forums for this.At ExtremeSystem there are a lot of opteron overclockers, from 1xx to 2xx sseries. consult w/ them. over here, I have a feeling that some just like to disagree w/ the former poster or any poster. There is a lot of bickering going on here and some opinions are unfounded. dont listen to me, listen to your guts feeling.

thats not true, belive it or not i have gotten my patriot xblk up to 334mhz 1:1 with my cpu.

Just an added note . . . the stepping is going to matter much more than the rating (144, 146, or 148). Right now I have two 148 (CABYE 0543) chips that can't do more than 2.85GHz stable on air. But the 146s (CABYE 0540) chips do 3.0GHz on air. . . So if possible try to get a good stepping. This is possible on Ebay (when the seller specificies the stepping) or with some vendors (mwave.com, tankguys, ZipZoomFly, etc.)

As for your RAM, I wouldn't worry about it. You can always run a divider if it can't take the speed. What you need to be concerned with is how high your board can clock. If you want to hit 3.0GHz, then the 144 is probably out of the question (unless your board will do 334MHz. :) )

Last edited:
You didn't have to edit and cover up all your posts, I wanted to read them.

Steppings do matter a lot, but then there have been varied results from pretty much every stepping, even the steppings that only get up to 2.6ghz, some people with that exact stepping gets up to 2.9ghz, so we'll need a larger database with more people's results to be 100% sure which stepping is the best.

And also, you don't HAVE to have a 1:1 ratio on your ram, people run dividers and don't notice too much performance hit, they gain it back in the OC.

Revivalist said:
Just an added note . . . the stepping is going to matter much more than the rating (144, 146, or 148). Right now I have two 148s (CABYE 0543) that can't do more than 2.85GHz stable on air. But the 146s (CABYE 0540) do 3.0GHz on air. . . So if possible try to get a good stepping. This is possible on Ebay (when the seller specificies the stepping) or with some vendors (mwave.com, tankguys, ZipZoomFly, etc.)

As for your RAM, I wouldn't worry about it. You can always run a divider if it can't take the speed. What you need to be concerned with is how high your board can clock. If you want to hit 3.0GHz, then the 144 is probably out of the question (unless your board will do 334MHz. :) )

Depending on the maturity of a cpu lifecycle and the degree of speed grading that occurs naturally the faster rated cpus on average will clock higher. The question being to do you want to pay the extra cash for say just 100MHz more.

The other thing is as you point out the mobo - I believe ASRock's only go up to 300 Mhz in the bios. The other thing about ASrock is I believe only one of their sole 939 mobos (not combo) uses AGP cards - which I assume the thread starter uses as he has an NF7-S before.

ochungry said:
Yah, but read his post carefully and read the post by revivalist.
There is no way you can get 3 ghz w/ opteron 146 24/7 and w/ the board he is interested.
opteron 144 will not do 3 ghz on the mobo the poster is interested.
148 will. 146 is a so so.
END.
You are correct if the poster will be using that ASRock mobo. Then the limiting factor will be the ASRock, since it is unlikely to run over 250 MHz. So a 148 is the correct choice in this case. With better OC'ing mobos, the choice is more complicated except that you can eliminate the 144 IMO.

I took the cheap alternative and bought an EPoX 8rda3+pro for my mobile barton. I haven't even pushed that CPU to it's limit yet. But thank you everyone for your insight and Happy Holidays!

James

DaveB said:
You are correct if the poster will be using that ASRock mobo. Then the limiting factor will be the ASRock, since it is unlikely to run over 250 MHz.

That is incorrect. Many people are regularly having to use an OC Bios (OCWB1, OCWB2) that removes the 274 HTT max lock so they select 300 HTT or greater.

http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/30/4914.html

The OCWorkbench forums seems to contain the largest concentration of information about using/overclocking the ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 motherboard.

anyone have any leads on some decent Stepping 148's today?

I'm in a neverending search for a decent 148, and I'm having NO luck!

anyone? anyone? Bueller?...Buuuuuuueler?!

plz?

All I want is 2.8ghz "gaming-stable" on air damnit... is that so hard or wrong!? lol... You can keep your 3+ ghz monsters... I just want 2.8 on-the-cheap so I can laugh at all my FX-57-owning-friends! lol...

Back