• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5700 Ultra cooling upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
Currently I have a BFG 5700 Ultra, with stock cooling. It clocks to 550/960 stably for gaming, and 560/980 for benching. I know the ram is heat limited, and I have a good sink solution for that upcoming, but the core goes upwards of 60C on load in a hurry and stays there.

I was looking at the Vantec Iceberq4 Pro to put on it ($15, copper), a 1U Directron sink (70mm, copper, here ), taking an old 60mm aluminum hunk o' junk (epoxy it on and put a 60mm fan on it), or finding a cheap GPU block to put on it. I don't particularly like the design of the Jetart cooler, so rule that one out.

I do plan to volt mod, and low profile is desired, but so is low cost, $20 or less preferably. Noise is an issue. I'm leaning towards modding a 70mm 1U sink, since I don't mind modding/drilling to get it to fit, and a 70mm fan would be quieter than other aftermarket GPU coolers.

Any opinions or ideas?

I'm not a terribly big fan of the Silencers, especially since the 5700 version has a copper plate that tries to transfer heat to the main fins. That, and the fan is not as quiet as I would like from what I've read on SPCR and here.

Back