• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI connection cable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Penance

Is there any reason why it wouldn't be possible to make a cable that relieves PCI devices from having to be plugged horizontally into the PCI socket?

I've read stuff about this being a possibility for PCI express. Would doing this for ordinary PCI devices create some kind of timing or voltage issue that would cause the system to be damaged or not work?

Why would you want to do that? More cables just means worse airflow inside the case. And the PCI-E video cards still use PCI power. They just need extra power in the form of a PCI Express connector.

Being able to arrange my PCI devices however I want rather than plug them directly into the motherboard slot horizontally will save me space and allow me to move forward with a mod project I'm working on. I'm not worried about airflow.

Thanks for completely not answering the question at all, though.

Yes there are riser cards, especially popular in small OEM machines. However, i don't think you can make the traces too long, because of possible data corruption.

There are riser cards that are basically a short pci card with another pci slot at 90 degrees. That probably won't help you. I remember someone did a mod (I think it was a briefcase mod) and they found a riser card thats actually a ribbon cable so you can move it around a lot.

PCIRIS1A_big.jpg

And many more available at logicsupply.com: http://www.logicsupply.com/default.php/cPath/47_68

Back