• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum: can I use SATA ports 1 & 2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jojo1971

Neo2 Platinum: can I use SATA ports 1 & 2?

i need additional ports for my other SATA harddrives...my system is overclocked (opteron 165 @ 289 x 9=2.6ghz)... i heard that SATA ports 1 & 2 cannot be used when the mobo is overclocked because they dont have PCI lock or something like that...

what are my other options besides having to run everything @ stock speed? how about using a PCI SATA controller cards? are they not affected by the overclocking?

give me some idea please ..i dont want to hook up my fully loaded storage HDDs without making sure the ports are "safe"..

I'll have to agree, you cannot use sata ports 1&2 because of no pci lock. Now if you want to run stock speeds it'll be fine. Not 100% sure of the exact pci bus speed will corrupt the data on SATA ports 1&2 tho. Evryone that has run across this problem has had different pci bus speeds.

You can also go with a PCI/SATA card. You can lock the AGP/PCI bus speed to 66 and your hdds will be safe even with an uber high oc There are 2 and 4 port pci cards available. :santa: .

Hope this helps-

I agree. Your best OC without the pci lock on SATA ports 1 and 2 is around 225htt for a total of 2225MHz. For that type of performance loss a pci SATA controller makes good sense.

Back