• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ARCTIC COOLING Silencer64UltraTC L.... Any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iNSiGMA

I need a QUIET cooler for my X2 3800+ that is Value Priced.

I was looking on newegg and seen this ARCTIC COOLING Silencer64UltraTC L. Reviews are nothing but positive.

In comparison I also looked at the ZALMAN CNPS7000B.. good reviews also, and it includes a speed controller... but the reviews don't praise it's silence as well as they do for the Artic Cooling Silencer..

What to get? I'm guessing everyone is going to say go for the Zalman but I am not sure. Let me know.

The 7000B is very good if set to run in silent mode. I wouldn't recommend it for hard overclocking though.

You should also look at the Artic Cooling Freezer64 Pro.

What do you consider "value priced"?

Usually I just get a cooler which is no more than $20. They're not silent but they do the job.

I see these Zalman and Silencer64 for less than $30 and being called quiet so I'd consider that value. I'm not hard overclocking either.. i don't consider myself to be anyway. I want to push my 2.0Ghz 3800+ to 2.2 or 2.4... Thats it.

You bought an X2. Another $20 to go from budget cooler to GOOD cooler should be on your high priority list.

Personally, I don't see how you can skimp on a cooler with an expensive processor? Now is not the time to save money.

There's AC A64 coolers page:
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu1.php?p=3&disc=

Silencer64 should be better than stock, but I'd rather get Freezer64 (Pro) or one of monster sinks. For example I've seen Scythe Ninja for $32 if I remember correctly (you still need a fan for it, bought separately). Freezer64 (Pro) or big Thermaltake / Thermalright / Scythe heatsinks should allow you 2.4GHz or more at really low noise.

Zalman 7000Cu should do the job at stock speeds, but for overclocking it would have to run at high speeds when both cores were at high load.

My recommendations:
Budget - Freezer64 Pro
Performance - Scythe Ninja + good fan

Thank you guys.

After reading reviews and what not I'm going to go with the Freezer64 Pro.

Back