• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My year in revue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver

Senior Citizen (aka old fart)
One year ago today I started folding with one A64 754 3000+ at 2.6Ghz. Chip had been through alot what with air, water and tecs. Time to retire it to a more leisurely life of folding. Then came the P4 2.8 which had seen 4ghz on tecs which was brought out of retirement and added to the a64 for folding. Had a great idea with the 1.6lv xeons, wife bought off on it and a dual xeon setup was added. Got a great deal on a a64 2800+ which I found would readily oc on stock heatsink to 2.65Ghz and it was added to the growing mix. Kids needed a comp (of course) and a Celly D 315 was added (at 3.2Ghz) folding qmds (for about 410PPD). Liked the cost ratio on the Celly D (478) so bought and setup another 310 D which gets about 420PPD on QMDs. Found a computer in the trash 1.8 Celly which had a bad psu and threw the patriot ram in there while waiting for the Celly D 310 to arrive and found it could reasonably fold 170PPD at stock settings. When the 310 came we got it going and found a good deal on some 133 ram from newegg and of course for christmas got it so the little celly 1.8 should be up again soon. Have a couple 478 boards coming from a fellow member that should be very good folders. Many parts have been bought from the classifieds from fellow members at discounted prices and to them I must give some credit as I could not afford to build this small farm without them. Wife has gotten a little irate with all the comp cases in the living room so construction continues on the furnituresque 10 mobo case that will be the future home for all the setups.

Today on my folding anniversary I broke 400,000 points. A good milestone considering that the whole endeavor started off with one 754 3000+ a year ago and I have no borged systems (kinda shy about asking and too honest to decieve (sp)). Plans for the next year are to double my production to 800,000 for the year. Modest given what I see some others producing but an achievable goal. The foundation for two additional folders has been set with the purchase of the two 875 (478) mobos though it may take awhile for them to come up given the non-completion of the large case and the lack of funds after a joyful christmas with all of my children. Come up they will though.

For Christmas I got the 30 80mm fans and grills needed for the case as well as the two sticks of 133 (2 x 256) for the celly 1.8. I recieved much more from my wife and children though those things do not relate to folding so I will not list those things.

I wish a joyous and safe Christmas to all, not only in the folding arena but to all members. May God Bless Both You and Yours as he continues to for both me and mine.

"Look mom, we made it, 400,000 , page one and I can see ocpik4chu and F[OC]ld ahead. :p " We got a descent race going guys. Howse about 1st to 500,000?

LOL

I started almost a year ago also... got about 35k or so under my own name.... then a few of us banded together to make F(OC)LD. It took us about 6 months... but we got to 400k as well.

And a race to 500k doesn't sound so bad.... we may reach that before Pik4chu if we are lucky... he's far outpacing us on F(OC)LD now

TollhouseFrank said:
And a race to 500k doesn't sound so bad.... we may reach that before Pik4chu if we are lucky... he's far outpacing us on F(OC)LD now

I'm trying to hang with him but am slowly loosing ground as well.

Congratulations on your folding achievements and staying power, Silver, through the bad times too. I know that you had a couple of bad months this year, but you made it through fine and it sounds like you and your family are having a great Christmas. :thup:

I've had a great year back here too, with this team. I came back in February from the Short Media team and since coming back I've scored over 700,000 points for this great team and I've enjoyed every minute of it. I'm in pretty much the same boat as you on the borgs (although I might be able to get a few Macs folding for me at our main office since they just upgraded their machines a month or so ago). It's hard and expensive to be on your own as far as production is concerned, but at least you don't have to worry about something happening to a machine that's hundreds or thousands of miles away.

My goal next year; to score 1 million points. :D A lofty goal, but I think it's doable with my recent upgrades (X2 4400 and Opty 170 rigs).

Yes, it has been a wonderful folding year :) :cool: :)

And I think we all share so much in many (sometimes) different ways.

You guys, and the rest of T32, are a very welcome place to FOLD.

Have a happy and joyous holiday season !!!!

(wipes tear from eye) .... :santa: :santa:

Yeah aren't those Celeron D 315's great?

*COUGH* I would like to take this opportunity to let yall know I'm selling one in the classifieds. If its gona be a 24/7 folder for team 32 you get $5 discount *COUGH*

Yeah they're great for folding but a HT P4 totally beats them for primary rig usage. I'm too poor to keep the CellyD for a future folding comp ;)

well I like the price of those 315's....

might have to grab a few...

About the Classifieds.....any chance to BORG my post count??? so maybe someday I can get on there and possibly buy some stuff?

Anyhow HAPPY HOLIDAYS! :santa:

Sounds like a great Xmas getting comp parts instead of paisley kneck ties and socks. Great to hear that things are on the upswing and keep us posted on the "Riguniture". I still have to reconfigure mine running into heat problems. Consider vericle mobo mounting, horizontal causes heat pockets, one of the thermal-dynamic issues. Luckily I can easily move my slides and make it work! One last toy for my XMas, an OPTI 170 I'm getting ready to order and a 939 Mobo coming from Gnerma :santa: (Had to beg Ms. :santa: for this one)

Excellent work, Silver. Taking into account that you have no borgs only adds to the commendable work you have done, IMHO.

muddocktor said:
My goal next year; to score 1 million points. :D A lofty goal, but I think it's doable with my recent upgrades (X2 4400 and Opty 170 rigs).

Achievable goals are good and Muddocktor, I'm green with envy. :)

wow silver, i figured you'd been around awhile...

accomplished quite a lot in one year.. bravo!!!

now... me only 1 1/2 months into it at a meager 5k.... soon to add my 146 opty, a 2600 xp-m, a 533 celly (file server), and a 650 duron (smooth) to my already 2.4 pentium and 1ghz duron (morgan). Maybe someday I'll build a small diskless folding farm.... possibly of celly d's they look so delicious. (sp)

If i can pull 400k before next christmas i'll be a very very happy boy...

Congrats again..

ps, i know exactly how you feel about borging... we're just two of a kind

3 of a kind...

the only PC that i dont have daily contact with (but still "maintain") is my parents PC.

33 total; 5@ home, 27@work (family business)

Silver,

Excellent work! :thup:

very happy to see you hit this milestone! :)

PS
the first year's the "easy" one ... :welcome: to year 2...

Way-to-go, fellow farmer Silver! ;)

Funny how a folding farm just keeps growing...kinda hate to do any "trimming"!
My own farm has grown this past year; am going to do some "weeding", "tilling" and "crop rotation" to increase productivity. I only have 1 borg to speak of, but no access to it anymore; still folding for the cause tho'. Aside from the Abit NF7 & Soltek 75frn2-RL in my sig, all the other rigs are additions from 2005. I hope to be listing my Asus P5LD2 / 830D by later today if the sonic tower keeps it cool enough.

Maybe I'll be there with you on page 1, in a couple months! :)

Joe Camel said:
3 of a kind...

PS
the first year's the "easy" one ... :welcome: to year 2...

Fortunately we have kind of a three way race going right now with F(OC)ld, (OC)Pik4chu and myself thus keeping it entertaining for the time being. :)

Back