• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

changing power supply fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hanzalo

i swear i seen this on the forum before, but i cant find it. anyways my power supply fan is pretty loud, and i want to change it. its connected to the power supply with a red and a black wire. If i cut those would the power supply not work? and to put a different one on would i have to solder a new fan to there or could i just put a fan in there and have the molex connecter coming out of the psu into the case?

thanks in advance, and merry christmas (or happy holidays)

Here is what you do.

If you do not intend to ever use the psu fan again, cut the red and black wires with as much wire to spare as possible so that its as long as you can make it. Then strip the plastic off the end of the both the red and black.

Next get your new fan and cut it where are you want. Strip the end of that fan as well.

now you can either solder the red to red and black to black or you can just twist the two together. both will work. Remember to cover it with electric tape after.

Your done.

Bear in mind that it was loud for a reason. That psu probably needs some decent cooling so if the new fan is not cooling it adequatly then you may encounter some problems.

Back