• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why doesnt it detect?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wyno

I have a Shuttle AK32 mobo and eversince I put this pc together sometimes when it boots up it wont detect my cd-rom. Also sometimes it boots to windows and then it tells me I have to reboot because there was a windows protection error. Any ideas what is wrong?

Check your IDE cables to see if they are connected firmly to your drives, or try to change them and see if the problem still persists. And as for your protection error, i had that with Win98 once, told me it had some error in the registry so i had to reboot. I formated and reinstalled windows and the problem went away.

I already checked and replaced the cables with new ones. When you formatted , do you mean the hard drive? If I have to reformat the HD i have to go and buy about 20 blank cds to back it up, hope I dont have todo that.

The point of formatting would be to get rid of everything in case the virus got in some files you dont expect it to be. I know its hard to lose all your data but if the cause of your problem is the virus or was caused by the virus there is no other way of getting completly rid of it. You might also try Norton system works, if you can get a evaluation copy of it and try a registry scan to see if anything is wrong but i still think a Hard drive format would be the best solution despite its results.

BTW: Copying your old files back to your newly formatted drive would also copy the same infected files with it, there is no point in doing so, sorry. Unless someone else has a better idea (hoping someone does) a format looks like its your only option.

I don't think its a virus. It might just be a bad harddrive. A buddy of mine has the same problem . . . replaced the HD and the problem went away. What you might want to do, is run a virus scan (just to make sure) back up all of your stuff, format, then run CheckDisk on the drive to make sure all of the sectors are kosher. And if they're not, I think that program will fix any bad sectors, or mark them as bad so no data is written to them.

Think I fixed it!

I got a copy of Norton Utilities and used all the goodies in there and you wouldn't believe all the problems that thing found. Anyways I run all the programs and let it fix everything automatically and I haven't had anymore problems since. I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Back