• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is required to run the P-M Dothan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. $T$

I recently acquired a Gateway Mx6027 Laptop for later College use, however it comes with a Celeron M. It's not a terrable processor however I would like a P-M so I can adjust the voltage and throttle features. I would like to know what I need (or if I can at all) upgrade this processor to a P-M 735. It uses the standered ZIF slot and I have already removed it earler, so I know if the hardware supports it that I can easly upgrade it.

Not sure how easy it is with gateway, but as long as you update the BIOS you should be fine. I did that on a thinkpad, went from 360 to 740, mine supported 533fsb however. Rember to apply some good thermal paste in the end and your set. :cool:

check your chipset it can only work with laptops that have the right chipset can't remember if its 915 or 945.

its whatever the dell I9300 has.

Yep, so far to my knowledge the only thing that could be stopping this from working would be BIOS support. The chipset would support a P-M at a 400bus as well as the 478 package. So the processor would be a easy drop in, but I somehow need to findout whether or not this BIOS will take the chip. I contacted gateway and got the usual "Laptop processors are not meant to be removed or upgraded" spill. So I can't expect much help from them. I wish there was a way to drop in a P-M and see if it works....

well there is, but you'd have to buy one ;)....

I'd say go for it, if you can't use it, well, post it in the classifieds ;).

Elif Tymes said:
well there is, but you'd have to buy one ;)....

I'd say go for it, if you can't use it, well, post it in the classifieds ;).

That's true, it won't be a total loss. Ha, well thanks for the help :) .

Yep, I was planning on that. I need to scrape some money together. Right now I have some ram comming for it. 256mb just doesn't cut it.

Back