• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Federation Waxed Me.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WedgeWhacko

Well my Borg attack on the Local Kinko's ALMOST was a go....I had the Manager all for it and just when I was about to Assimilate 15 Machines....The damn Night Manager came in and Ruined it.....

He stated that it wouldn't "Benefit" business...I exclaimed that it wouldn't effect anything....and since he is open 24/7 it would greatly help the cause.

So I will keep trying, however I think the night manager expected some kind of kick back or something...

What a dickweed... :mad:

LOL... do it during the day when the day manager is on shift..... and use a simple schedule with Windows Scheduler to get it to start F@H when day shift hits, and turn it off when night shift hits

I hope I don't step on any toes here, but I'm really, really tired of the mentality of the corperate-management types and their predictably anal outlook. Innovation is dead, in corperate America...nobody wants to take a risk because they are SCARED for their job. In the public sector where I am employed, this is referred to as the "walk of the penquins". Every mgmt type dresses alike, walks alike, talks alike and thinks alike. There's a saying that- "it's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission". Meaning: whatever innovative or expedient action you seek to get permission for will get an automatic "NO". Therefore you just do what you know needs to be done, and offer an apology when the inevitable butt chewing arrives. ;)

ihrsetrdr said:
I hope I don't step on any toes here, but I'm really, really tired of the mentality of the corperate-management types and their predictably anal outlook. Innovation is dead, in corperate America...nobody wants to take a risk because they are SCARED for their job. In the public sector where I am employed, this is referred to as the "walk of the penquins". Every mgmt type dresses alike, walks alike, talks alike and thinks alike. There's a saying that- "it's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission". Meaning: whatever innovative or expedient action you seek to get permission for will get an automatic "NO". Therefore you just do what you know needs to be done, and offer an apology when the inevitable butt chewing arrives. ;)

In the military it is very much the same. -Penquins.... lol

People with initiative are sometimes not looked best upon.
It's all in the timing though.

Keep trying !

:attn:

Pengiuns? Where? lol

Well if the day shift manager is cool with it then as cookiemonster said, just set it up to fold during his shift. Nothing the night manager could do about it then.

LOL. I can't remember who... but i think one or more of the memberes on our team has a setup similar to what i suggested. They just use a script through windows task scheduler that has it start F@H at a certain time and turns it off at a certain time (his borgs run at night when not in use instead of during the day... )

ihrsetrdr said:
I'm really, really tired of the mentality of the corperate-management types and their predictably anal outlook. Innovation is dead, in corperate America...

This applies to people in general.

Max0r said:
This applies to people in general.

Indeed ... and to some big corps more than others!

Half my current job is about getting people to take Intelligent risks ... there are lots of good, capable people that have been behaviourally trained not to ... although they are capable of it.

But you need to have strong exec support to actually do it, and over time, get people to change so they can do it themselves. Very frustrating at times but very rewarding when successful. And not all people can, or want to change for lots of differnet reasons.

But it keeps life interesting, as long as you don't let it frustrate you.

That night manager is a total dickweed....

I called over there to see if it would be possible.....he asked me does he get a tax break for using HIS computers for Charity.....

That goes to show you Nothing can be done to help a cause unless they get something in return....

Well if i remember correctly in one of the "Trekkies" movies there was a manager of a kinkos that came to work everyday in a startrek uniform. Even made the employees call her commander. If they put up with that I can't see why they object to FAH :)

did you ever ask for kinko's permission in the first place before trying to borg their computers?

benbaked said:
did you ever ask for kinko's permission in the first place before trying to borg their computers?

I've never tried anything like this, but I would assume that asking the manager is going high enough in the Kinko's foodchain. :shrug:

Maybe asking some kinda regional manager would produce better results WW. And maybe by chance he'd borg all the Kinkos in his managing area. Meh what am I thinking, he'd probably ask you "whats in it for me" like the other guy :rolleyes:

benbaked said:

He had permission from the day manager, then when he went to borg it was shift change time and the night manager was a no-go on the situation.

The situation was approached properly from the start.

Back