• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for advise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brent75

Registered
Hello! I'm a new member of this forum. I bought my first computer last year. It's a 733mhz pentium III gateway performance. Since then I have learned alot about computers. Including that you are better off building your own system (my opinion). I'm currently in the process of building my first computer and would appreciate it very much if you guys can help me out with a few questions.

1) I'm going to go with the new amd athlon xp 1800. What motherboard has the best performance to go along with this processor? Which do you guys suggest?

2)I know nothing about overclocking but I'm really interested in learning. Does overclocking hurt your cpu or do you guys suggest overclocking?

3) Is there any web sites out there that sell overclocked cpu's?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

There are some beginners' guides on the front page. And post a question if you don't understand something or you just want to know more. Welcome to the forum!!!

I believe the EpoX 8KHA+ is the fastest 266A board out there right now but the Shuttle AK31 v3.1 and the MSI K7T266 Pro2 are also good boards. I have the MSI board and I like it so far. It's a bit slower than the EpoX board but no biggie.

I think overclockerz store sells overclocked cpus but many think this is taboo.

1.Make sure you get one with the KT266A chipset. Some good boards are the epox(not sure which model number), the shuttle ak31 ver 3, and the abit KR7(coming soon). These are all good boards by companies with great reputations.

2.I definitely suggest overclocking. It's fun and gives you more performance. Take precautions and read the begginer's guides on the front page. Get a good idea of what you'll be doing BEFORE you start.

3.The classifides on this site might have some but I wouldn't suggest buying a pre-overclocked chip.

What not to BUY MSI K7T266pro2-RU

PS : I've just put a NEw system together with the Athlon XP1800+

with what has to be the worst MOST UNSTABLE Motherboard out there.... MSI K7T266pro2-RU

STAY AWAY FROM THIS BOARD AT ALL COSTS

VERY UNSTABLE THEY USE CHEAP PARTS ON THE BOARD, THE HARDWARE ON THIS MSI K7T266pro2-RU CONFLICTS WITH ITSELF. OVER AND OVER AGAIN

WHAT TO BUY...

ASUS A7V266-E WITH RAID AND SOUND...
OR
EPOX

MY OPINION

KOB:mad: :( :rolleyes: :mad: :(

thanks

Thanks guys. I'm looking into the epox motherboard. Seems to be a popular one.

Back