• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need to reinstall windows for 667 celeron to 800 p3 upgrade??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EternalX

I have an older compaq computer. I found a processor for it that would work and tried to install it. It is going from a 667mhz celeron to a 800mhz pentium3. Didnt reinstall windows, just swapped processor and restarted. It freezes in windows once everything gets loaded and is running for a second. Doesnt take much time or effort and the computer locks up. Do i need to reinstall windows? Or should i look into a heating problem? The stock heatsink fan for the celeron does look a little wimpy.

I didnt think swapping processors would instigate a reinstall. Would it?

using winxp

Last edited:
no. you don't need an OS reinstall for a CPU upgrade.

Do you have PC133 memory? Celeron 667's only used a 66FSB, so they may not have given you PC133 memory.

I'm with Know Nuttin here, your ram may not like the new FSB, if you look around on eBay or the Classifieds you can probably find some 256mb 133 sticks for cheap.

Well it wasnt the ram. It had a stick of pc100 and a stick of pc133 so i swapped out the 100 stick with another 133 stick. Still same problem, locks up after a few minutes of doing anything. After restarts, it locks up quicker than before. So its looks like its a heat problem, gotta find another heatsink!

Also what sort of TIM was on that heatsink that you are using? If it was some sort of wax or pad you would need to scrape it off and put some paste on there (waxes/pads are normally one time use type of deals). If this is a slot cpu you will have a heck of a time finding a heatsink for it, but if its Socket 370 any Socket A heatsink that grabs the socket lugs instead of bolting through the mobo holes will work (and even the lowest of low end Athlon heatsinks will keep a PIII happy).

Something like these shoudl be plenty:
http://svc.com/dp5-6i31d-01-19.html
http://svc.com/tr2-m3.html

Yeah i have something like that now. Before it was just a heatsink, didnt look too beefy. Gonna clean off the chip, clean the heatsink, and apply some as5. We will see if that does the trick!

Well thats not working either. Computer still freezes, and then eventually it wouldnt turn on. I guess this compaq motherboard just doesnt likea new processor! Used another heatsink, cleaned both off good, slapped on some as5, and still froze inside windows. Not sure what else it could be, but im out of options. I will try reinstalling xp on a bigger hd i got.

EternalX said:
Doesnt take much time or effort and the computer locks up. Do i need to reinstall windows? Or should i look into a heating problem? The stock heatsink fan for the celeron does look a little wimpy.

I didnt think swapping processors would instigate a reinstall. Would it?

using winxp

No. You're not required to reinstall Windows. It's unstable.

Back