• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

950 65nm and P5ND2-SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markodude

Got this setup up and running with 0906 BIOS, broke my previous PBs with the new 950 - 2x2Mb cache and has the 17x multi (as well as goes down to 12x)
I am in exactly the same position as I was with the 840 though, I hit a wall at 990FSB and cannot get stability 1mhz above that. Now I have the whole system cooled to about 6c, NB is never above 20c, CPU never above 35c, with very cold air (its -2c here just now). I can do 990FSB prime stable, with only CPU overvolt 100mv enabled, but 992FSB and I get instability, regardless of voltage settings, ram speed/divider, CPU multiplier etc etc
Also it will not boot over 1000FSB at all, no POST.
Its driving me mad as I feel this CPU is capable of so much more. Can anyone POST over 1000FSB with a dual core in this board?
I will post some benches soon - just beating some more PBs with the 7800GTs volt modded - 500/1200 stable.
Cheers from Scotland
Marko

ok... so have you tried lowering the LDT divider to either 3.5 or 3? If not try that and see if it helps.

Also, I have gotten mine to post at 1020 or so but it has never been windows/prime stable.

Just to ask, when you had the 840d installed did jumpfree work? did it allow you to lower your multi? and how did you get it to do that?

Yep tried the LDT at 2x, 3x and 3.5x
My chips are ES so perhaps that is why they can adjust the multi in BIOS - CPU lockfree is not an option. I thought all dual cores allowed this - if not they should at least allow you to do it in windows using EIST software - in your case you will only have 15x and 14x available though.

I would say that the problem lies in 0906 bios... does 0905 support the 9xx series (have you tried it.) I flashed to 0906 and my machine went wild with the sound not working and it hurt my overclocks. I went back to 0905 and have been happy with it.

My system seems a little less stable with 0906 - but the FSB limitation is still much the same as I have had with all of the BIOS.
What FSB are you at with your 830?
Have you cooled your NB?
Cheers

well at the moment i'm transitioning from air to water and so my system has been fairly unstable. Originally i had the n/b cooled with the asus pos heatsink and could run at 960 all day but now with water i air cooled the n/b and can't get back to 960... somethings wrong. I hope add the n/b in the loop with water but i haven't had the time to take it all apart and go out and buy a water block for it. also i'll need a new pump which isnt helping either. I have read your other post, did you get the new p/s yet? did it help? I think my antec 550 is holding me back but i'm not sure yet, still testing.

i'm just glad to hear that these new cpus work with this board as i'm hoping to get a 960 when they come out.

Sounds a bit weird, this board is a pain in the a$$ - I know it runs fine at higher FSBs if your processor is default 1066FSB - I had a 3.46EE and a 3.73EE and both did 300FSB on this board. I am seriously thinking about modding the BSEL pins to make this a 1066FSB default CPU, but I dont think it will work because I cant force a low multiplier on first boot.
I havent got a new PSU yet, I cant find one that will give me a single 12v rail with over 30A, and 2x PCIe connectors......I did try dual PSUs but it made little difference - however the 2nd was just used for the graphics - if my current one is struggling with its gay 14A 12v line on the CPU, changing the Graphics power should make no difference. I have an old Enermax with a single 24A +12v and I think that should do the job, (with the Neo powering everything else) but havent got round to installing it as I am probably getting a new board anyway....had it with this....
Some calculations BTW - if you are running a processor that consumes 150w (I expect the Pentium D will consume this at 4ghz, if not more), then we need 150/12=12.5A just for the CPU - 14A max is really close on my current setup with the Neopower.....really want 20A+ dedicated to the CPU now to hit 5ghz :D

markodude said:
Sounds a bit weird, this board is a pain in the a$$ - I know it runs fine at higher FSBs if your processor is default 1066FSB - I had a 3.46EE and a 3.73EE and both did 300FSB on this board. I am seriously thinking about modding the BSEL pins to make this a 1066FSB default CPU, but I dont think it will work because I cant force a low multiplier on first boot.
I havent got a new PSU yet, I cant find one that will give me a single 12v rail with over 30A, and 2x PCIe connectors......I did try dual PSUs but it made little difference - however the 2nd was just used for the graphics - if my current one is struggling with its gay 14A 12v line on the CPU, changing the Graphics power should make no difference. I have an old Enermax with a single 24A +12v and I think that should do the job, (with the Neo powering everything else) but havent got round to installing it as I am probably getting a new board anyway....had it with this....
Some calculations BTW - if you are running a processor that consumes 150w (I expect the Pentium D will consume this at 4ghz, if not more), then we need 150/12=12.5A just for the CPU - 14A max is really close on my current setup with the Neopower.....really want 20A+ dedicated to the CPU now to hit 5ghz :D

It's ashame you can't get a PC Power & Cooling unit over there. TurboCool 510Sli would do you reaalll good right now.

I have friends in the states - GTs came from a well known retailer over there ;)

EDIT: I just looked and I think thats what I will go for now - thanks - my mate says his is loud - how is yours?

markodude said:
I have friends in the states - GTs came from a well known retailer over there ;)

EDIT: I just looked and I think thats what I will go for now - thanks - my mate says his is loud - how is yours?

Then get yourself a PSU that can handle that beast of a rig. :)

What about the PCP&C 850SSI - that has a phat 30A main 12v line, and 2 for other stuff?

I will need to do another thread on this, I modded the 840 CPU by connecting BSEL1 and 2 together to make it a deafult 266FSB CPU. The reason for this is that system would not POST over 1000FSB before.
I also changed my RAM from DDR2-533 to DDR2-900, made very little difference to anything. I can now run a little lower latencies but the board still craps out above 814 on the ram.

Back