• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Leaving a Cathrode on a IDE Cable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amoroso

Leaving a Cathode on a IDE Cable?

Does a Cathode get hot enough to melt wires? Reason why I ask is because I have a Cathode tube being held up by a IDE cable... I dont know if its gets hot enough to melt through, or if it is possible to have interferance caused by the Cathode to the IDE cable? Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Yes it's possible if the tube is exposed, I had a UV cold cathode that burned the plastic housing it was in (the tube was touching one side).

it shouldnt, the whole idea of a cold cathode is it dont get hot.

Turn it on for a few hours, then hold on to it. If you can last more than 2 minutes, then it wil not melt your wires.

Seven7Thirty30 said:
Turn it on for a few hours, then hold on to it. If you can last more than 2 minutes, then it wil not melt your wires.

I was joking. They shouldn't get hot enough to melt wires. Most do not. If they do, there is a larger problem at fault. If you can touch them without losing an appendage, then chances are it won't melt plastics.

They get warm (warm enough for cheap ones to burn themselves out) but generally not warm enough to melt wires. I wouldn't worry about it.

tom10167 said:
Leave it on, if it somehow burns through replace it with another five cent cable.

I'm sure the next post will talk about how that'll risk your data.

you risk losing your data

I have mine leaning on IDE cables, nothing went wrong so far :) They get warm, not hot ;)

Back