• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question regarding a Vantec Tornado

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

draganjr

Registered
I am looking for a Rheostat to control the fan.
I have the 92mm ver.
Current Amps = 1 A (from the retailers website and spec sheet)

My question is will it undervolt to 5 v or 7 v?

Because if I did it right I would need to get a 15 W 15 Ohm rheostat if it undervolts to 5v

or if it undervolts to 7v I would need a 8 ohm or less with 15 W rheostat.

Please correct me if I am wrong or doing something wrong.

Thank you
David

draganjr said:
I am looking for a Rheostat to control the fan.
I have the 92mm ver.
Current Amps = 1 A (from the retailers website and spec sheet)

My question is will it undervolt to 5 v or 7 v?

Because if I did it right I would need to get a 15 W 15 Ohm rheostat if it undervolts to 5v

or if it undervolts to 7v I would need a 8 ohm or less with 15 W rheostat.

Please correct me if I am wrong or doing something wrong.

Thank you
David

It will undervolt without any problem and you can use just about any fan controller on the market to do it.

Or you can use a rheostat if you like.

As far as your math is concerned. No you didn't do it right.

Refer to this sticky and try it again.

Electron Chaser - This is how I did the calc. Correct me if I missed a step or calc something wrong.

12V = Imax * Rfans
12V = 1A * Rfans
Rfan s= 12 ohms

7V = Imin * Rfans
7V = Imin * 12 ohms
Imin = .58 A

5V = Imin * Rrheostat
5V = .58 * Rrheostat
Rrheostat = 8.62 ohms or less

Wrheostat = 5 * Imin
Wrheostat = 5 * .58 A
Wrheostat = 2.9 W or greater

I would just like to use a rheostat, it would be cheaper for me to make then to go buy a fan controller for one fan.

Thank you.

It's still going to be obnoxiously loud. That fan is just too noisey, at any speed.

Ok. I know that I can use either or but I am trying to find out which rhoestat I can use and it will be safe for the fan and the rhoestat.

Thank you.

draganjr said:
Ok. I know that I can use either or but I am trying to find out which rhoestat I can use and it will be safe for the fan and the rhoestat.

Thank you.

bump and hopefully someone can answer your question, i have a vantec tornado i USED to use(till i got yelled at). i left my rig running prime while i was at school, mom was ****ed when i got home.

i was looking into undervolting this fan as well but when you do i was told that it was still too noisy.

why not undervolt it at the molex like aw said and then just use a generic rheostat?

I don't recall that anyone had big luck to reduce noise down so much to be quiet on Tornado cooler.
They work great but they are loud. Kinda like Delta fens ;)

This all depends on your definition of loud. To me a Tornado at 5v is quiet, but to some people (as seen in this thread), that's still deafening. So it sounds like you want to use a fan controller, but be warned if you think it's still loud at 5V you kinda SOL b/c it won't run much lower that than (shoot, mine turns of at ~6v).

Agree everyone has own definition of loud. :beer:

5|*42 said:
This all depends on your definition of loud. To me a Tornado at 5v is quiet, but to some people (as seen in this thread), that's still deafening. So it sounds like you want to use a fan controller, but be warned if you think it's still loud at 5V you kinda SOL b/c it won't run much lower that than (shoot, mine turns of at ~6v).

I am going to put it away and buy an Panaflo or an Delta fan that has good CFM and Noise and still pushes air.

I think I found out the rheostat but I am not sure. Thank you.

I have TWO tornados (92mm and 80mm) in my case undervolted to with the molex and after hearing them at full speed for about 6 months this is just fine. There is still plently of airflow from them and my temps only went from a constant 32C at any load to 36C idle and 42C load.

Back