• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual core priming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seanohue

Hey this is the first time I've primed with a DC and I was wondering if it was normal for one core to be progressing faster than another core? Core 0 is on the 3rd test and Core 1 is still on the 1st

You probably have something else running that is taking CPU time away from one core.

I was wondering the same thing, as I have have the same issue. All I can think of is that you set the affinities to where each core is running prime on its own.

Patch, driver?? Wow, no one ever told me about that.

What do each of these do?

What I do for a quick test is this... since it's SO EASY to tell which core is better than the other, I do all of my quick tests on the weaker core (core 0), and rarely on the stronger one (core 1)... cuz... I always know that core 1 will handle whatever core 0 can.

That's just my opinion... do that until you fully stabilize the weaker core to where you want, then after that you can dual prime.

In the meantime, you can just do a cpu burn-in (disabled errors) on the stronger core while testing the weaker core. You need to do some sort of stress on the stronger core so that the CPU in its entirety remains at full load with full load temps.

By the way, I think I have the answer to your problem.

No one was ever able to help me when I brought it up, but here is what I've noticed with prime: When you're running the BLEND test, sometimes each test takes HOURS... why... well, simply this... you need to set prime to blend test, and then go to CUSTOM (you need to set to blend first so that those settings are set automatically in custom). Now that you have all of the blend settings in custom here is what you do... click the check-box for "run FFTs in place." Now run that custom test and watch it go perfectly.

I still don't know why the F blend test does this to me cuz it never used to a year ago. It could all be some sort of coincidence, but this happens to me also on every CPU, and every core I've ever primed in the passed year.

Both Prime95 and SP2004 do this to me... if I want to blend test, I have to set it up in custom with FFTs in place (still don't really understand what they mean by "in place"... why wouldn't it be in place?)

g0dM@n said:
By the way, I think I have the answer to your problem.

No one was ever able to help me when I brought it up, but here is what I've noticed with prime: When you're running the BLEND test, sometimes each test takes HOURS... why... well, simply this... you need to set prime to blend test, and then go to CUSTOM (you need to set to blend first so that those settings are set automatically in custom). Now that you have all of the blend settings in custom here is what you do... click the check-box for "run FFTs in place." Now run that custom test and watch it go perfectly.

I still don't know why the F blend test does this to me cuz it never used to a year ago. It could all be some sort of coincidence, but this happens to me also on every CPU, and every core I've ever primed in the passed year.

Both Prime95 and SP2004 do this to me... if I want to blend test, I have to set it up in custom with FFTs in place (still don't really understand what they mean by "in place"... why wouldn't it be in place?)

Have you checked how much memory is being allocated (using taskmanager)? If it's using more than the physical memory it will start paging and kill the performance (not to mention the usefulness of the test).

Back