• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows or Mac

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Harres12

Hey I hear alot of talk about DRM and I am getting scared I mean all new hardware. $$$$$ Will I really have to buy a new monitor for Vista. (and I am not staying with XP I always like to use the newest) but should I go with Mac. I do game so I would miss that but I could play on PS3. Tell me what I should do.

MACS ARE THE SUCK

Unless all you do is some emailing and so graphical design.

but they still can kiss my mac hating *** :cool:

As long as you don't mind not playing games on it, I say go for it. I love my iBook. OSX is really awesome. I have to ask anyone who is bashing the mac if they ever took the time to actually use a mac for more than 5minutes with an open mind.

if you are computer savvy enough [and don't mind spending some time getting everything setup], i would say give linux a shot. you can find a lot [not all] of the more popular games in a linux port, and sometimes binaries for windows versions of games. check HERE here to see if your favorite games have a linux versioin. that's if you don't want to give up computer gaming. if that isn't a huge issue, sure go for the mac. i personallly don't like console games, so i stick with a pc for the games. i will likely be switching to a linux os when i get my rig up and going again. if i ever decide to give up on gaming [or if i ever buy another laptop] i would likely buy a mac when i upgrade. just a warning though: switching to linux OR mac will probably not be a permanent solution to avoiding DRM/TCPA if it progresses as far as its advocates would like it to. as far as needing a new monitor for Vista, i'm not 100% sure. i have heard that it will require an HD monitor/TV.

omg does Bill think that everyone is mulitbillionires like him. No I have it well made but I can be spending that much on a HD monitor but I like Mac everything about them buttt Gaming. And the thing about consoles same here I suck at them but if it came down to it I might have to. I do own at BF2 CoD2 period

aeiou said:
As long as you don't mind not playing games on it, I say go for it. I love my iBook. OSX is really awesome. I have to ask anyone who is bashing the mac if they ever took the time to actually use a mac for more than 5minutes with an open mind.

I used mac's for 3 years and all my exsperiences with them were and forever eill be crap

Not to be mean or anything but you don't sound like an adult to have used a mac for that long of a time I did when I was 10 for my first computer but it wasn't for my needs at the time they sucked but look at them now.

i've never used a mac before and never intend to buy one. but i wouldn't mind using the ibook. laptops are just fine for me. but the PC will always dominate my desktop.

castroman said:
I used mac's for 3 years and all my exsperiences with them were and forever eill be crap

Ok, can you elaborate.... if you really don't wan't him to get one, its helpfull to have some proof. Personally, I used to bash macs, too. Then I used one and especially after OSX came out, I was in love. It just seems to work, whereas pcs will just not work more often than not, especially in the hardware recognition department. The software package is another thing. Simple, yet powerfull, and if you want more, apple makes software to do that, too.

I think I will stick with Window I would miss BF2 and CoD2 so much I couldn't live without. If it came to Mac sure I would by a Mac but for me I like how there so much you can do with Windows like Customizing and whatnot. And I am getting my A+ Certification meaning that I know all there is to know about Windows from start to finish. And that is what everyone uses so therefore it is Microsoft for me.

The Mac OS is far more stable and user friendly than Windows anything. They are however, very expensive and generally not as fast as PC's, especially in a performance price comparison. For professional video, audio and graphics they are the best. Mac security is also better than Windows, but my unlocked front door is also more secure than Windows, so it's not saying much.

Not 100% on this, but I think you only need a new monitor if you want to play videos with DRM a full quality. If you use a VGA or DVI monitor, Windows will reduce the quality of the video but you can still use it. For games and general desktop use, there will be no change.

Well right now I have a killer monitor. Sony 19" with the TruColor coating very bright DVI. Why would a monitor have anything to do with DRM. I am really fine with this is do not mind buying a new comp its worth. So all I would need to use Vista is abosolutly everything new?

Harres12 said:
Not to be mean or anything but you don't sound like an adult

Well not to be mean or anything thats not for you to judge.

Harres12 said:
I was 10 for my first computer

Well I used my first PC at 11, I have used macs since i was in 3rd grade through 9th grade. Although Macs are fater in certain aspects, my encounters with IBooks, and the Macs where the moniter housing makes up the compter were very bad i lost all of my saved work 2 times(stuff that's meaningless to me now but it was important to me then), due to an error that the techs at the school didn't understand.

I will admit that if you're going to get a mac get a G5, I had good exsperinces with them but it seems that anyother type of mac i use hates me.

aeiou said:
Ok, can you elaborate.... if you really don't wan't him to get one, its helpfull to have some proof. Personally, I used to bash macs, too. Then I used one and especially after OSX came out, I was in love. It just seems to work, whereas pcs will just not work more often than not, especially in the hardware recognition department. The software package is another thing. Simple, yet powerfull, and if you want more, apple makes software to do that, too.

See above ^^

And yes apple does make software that can rival some PC software prodcuts the problem is that it costs to much.

I didnt mean to make it sound as if you were not an adault. It wasnt a putdown what I implied by that was your not young enough to know how well they are. I mean because when I had my first Mac it sucked. So I was thinking that maybe you havent tryied the new ones. But back to topic na I will probly stick with Windows I dont mind buying everything again.

Well also in like seccond grade we had the Macs that had the screen that consisted of green lines. I still have my big floppy disk but no way to find whats on it heh

lol I remeber those peices of shoit. Yeah I think my old middle school still uses some in the library lol. Yeah with Apple it is very limitable. I want to play games doesnt the Apple Corp see that.

linux is teh pwn...my high school still uses macs in all of their room and labs i want to dismantle all of them, steal their monitors...oh wait! the computer IS the monitor...oh hell i want i burn the school down. Other than that, this is the age old question between the lesser of two evils. Windows is very vulnerable and not exactly the most stable OS (and its very hard to hack with it compared to linux). But macs tend to be easier to use but you do sacrafice performance for this user friendlieness...im not sure why im even saying this because its all been said. Both have pros and cons, both are decent operating systems...but linux blows both out of the water.

Last edited:
But I dont want to hack I dont see the point in it besides ****ing good people off for no reason.

Back