• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to change my ip address

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

{ace of spades}

Disabled
I have just been banned from a forum for a very pathetic reason. Could anyone please tell me how to change my ip address so i can get back on, as i need to check my pm's.

Many thanks,

James

Use an open proxy, learn more about them on Google.

If you're trying to get back on your own account with a proxy, that won't help because your username and IP are probably both banned.

If you are concerned with checking your PMs I would take a more diplomatic approach to your problem. If you want to try to sneak into your PMs I think your pretty much hosed.

But in the question of changing your IP, you can most likey either call your ISP or possibly unplug your modem for awhile and try to get another that way.

Copy down all your ip info that you get from dhcp. ip address, subnet, gateway, etc. Then go into windows and change it to a static ip. Make everything the same except your ip address. For that, change the last number. You probably can use the whole range (0-255) but I'd just go one up or one down.

You cant just change your public IP address, it is assigned by your ISP. As mentioned if you have an ISP that has dynamic IP (most are unless you pay for static) then you may be able to get a new IP address by powering down your modem and powering it back up again.

Do you have router?

If you have a router and a dynamic address then you might could get it to change by unplugging it for a while. Like when you go to the store or out of town sometime. The more time it can spend unplugged the better. I'd try turning off completey each night or something... the least obtrusive way.

I've found that since I got my router my dynamic address rarely changes. Reason? The router never gets shut off, it's holding to the settings assigned by the ISP in a way different from a cable modem alone. When I was rolling with my cable modem only my address used to change every couple of months.

Another thing you could do and this is a bit drastic would be to actually buy another router. I had a lower end linksys and when I upgraded to another higher end model it changed my ip address. I even switched them out time after time and the address changes each time. And when I go for long periods without switching them out the address changes to a completely new number I am unfamiliar with. Usefull little trick I can employ when needed. :D

I can't promise you that will be the case in your situation but it works just fine for me.

I say suck it up, buddy. Lame or not, you aparently broke a rule. I'm not trying to be a wank or anything, but I'd expect the very same thing if I didn't play nice (it is someone else's playground afterall).

Since boards use a username and password, that's what your banning is most likely based upon. Like I can log into my OC'rs account from any computer I can get my hands on, at any location, any IP.
So instead of trying to get in the back door (for which you'll probably get slapped down as soon as you login), try e-mailing a site admin and humbly beg using your sweetest vernacular to get your PM's forwarded via e-mail.

If you're banned for life, well...live and learn.

*BTW, changing IP is only usefull if you're going to start a new account...at which point you won't be able to get the PM's of your other persona anyway.

Last edited:
Back