• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions That Came Up While Building

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Herr Rogers

1) What should my jumper settings be? I have four drives. One is a sony cd/dvd-rom, one is a plextor burner, one is a raptor for games and OS, and one is hitachi deskstar for storage. The sony cd/dvd-rom is where I will be having games and media, so wouldn't that be primary? The plextor would be slave because I'm only going to use it when I need to burn cd/dvds. The raptor can ALSO be primary I guess? And the hitachi deskstar can ALSO be a slave?! That makes for two slaves and two primaries...Please correct me.

2)I have two IDE cables that came with the EPOX 9NPA Ultra. I know which one plugs into the motherboard because it's color coded, but which one is the primary and which one is the slave? I'm guessing the black one, which is furthest away from the one you plug into the motherboard, is the primary one. The middle one is slave?

3)What should my floppy drive be? A slave?

4)Is there any advantage using the SATA power connector over the normal 4 pin molex that you use on everything?

5)Do you even need that grey audio cable? If so, does it go from my primary cd-rom which is used for media, or does it go to my slave primary drive, which is used for cd-buring?

Sorry for all the questions, but I need all these answered.

1 & 2)For your IDE drives (not your floppy, not your raptor), do whichever you use most as master, and the least used as slave. On IDE cables, the master is the end of the cable, and the slave is the middle connector. You could also just to cable select, if you have the cable orientation correct. I thought one of the benefits to SATA was no more slave/master foolishness, if that's the case, don't worry about it on your raptor.

I use cable select most often, and just make sure the middle connector is on what I want as slave, and the end is master.

3) I don't believe floppies have a jumper setting for master or slave, I've never seen a floppy cable with more than one connector on it, or a floppy with a jumper on it. I can definitely be wrong on this, but I'm right thus far in my computer experience.

4) Never used sata, sorry.

5) I don't use the gray audio cable, and have no problems. Heard it can cause feedback.

Herr Rogers said:
1) What should my jumper settings be? I have four drives. One is a sony cd/dvd-rom, one is a plextor burner, one is a raptor for games and OS, and one is hitachi deskstar for storage. The sony cd/dvd-rom is where I will be having games and media, so wouldn't that be primary? The plextor would be slave because I'm only going to use it when I need to burn cd/dvds. The raptor can ALSO be primary I guess? And the hitachi deskstar can ALSO be a slave?! That makes for two slaves and two primaries...Please correct me.

2)I have two IDE cables that came with the EPOX 9NPA Ultra. I know which one plugs into the motherboard because it's color coded, but which one is the primary and which one is the slave? I'm guessing the black one, which is furthest away from the one you plug into the motherboard, is the primary one. The middle one is slave?

3)What should my floppy drive be? A slave?

4)Is there any advantage using the SATA power connector over the normal 4 pin molex that you use on everything?

5)Do you even need that grey audio cable? If so, does it go from my primary cd-rom which is used for media, or does it go to my slave primary drive, which is used for cd-buring?

Sorry for all the questions, but I need all these answered.

1) yes
2)the one at the end for primary
3)no
4)not sure
5)no ithink that was only used for older computers

Ok, I think I confused myself with my answer to 1&2, so here's what I suggest, nice and simple:

IDE channel 1: DVD as master / plextor as slave
IDE channel 2: Hitachi by itself, as master.
Raptor on one of your sata channels.

If the deskstar is sata, have it on one of your sata channels as well, and have each optical drive as master on it's own channel.

My Raptor has jumper selection, but my Hitachi Deskstar doesn't.

EDIT: Yikes! The raptor has 4 sets of jumpers, and it only explains two of the rows.

Looks like ::::

Last edited:
mdameron said:
Ok, I think I confused myself with my answer to 1&2, so here's what I suggest, nice and simple:

IDE channel 1: DVD as master / plextor as slave
IDE channel 2: Hitachi by itself, as master.
Raptor on one of your sata channels.

If the deskstar is sata, have it on one of your sata channels as well, and have each optical drive as master on it's own channel.

You left out the floppy drive

Here's how I'm going to do it:

IDE Channel 1: Sony CD/DVD-ROM Primary, Plextor CD/DVD-Burner Slave.
IDE Channel 2: Floppy Drive Slave (?) I have a whole IDE Cable dedicated to this floppy, but I'm not sure whether to plug in the primary (black) or the slave (grey) into it's IDE connectors...
SATA Channel 1: Raptor Primary
SATA Channel 2: Deskstar (no jumpers)

The Deskstar is SATA.

I'm confused. I'm gonna go check out the cables I have.

Edit: ohhhhhh, I see it. EPoX didn't give me a round cable for my floppy drives :(

Herr Rogers said:
Here's how I'm going to do it:

IDE Channel 1: Sony CD/DVD-ROM Primary, Plextor CD/DVD-Burner Slave.
IDE Channel 2: Floppy Drive Slave (?) I have a whole IDE Cable dedicated to this floppy, but I'm not sure whether to plug in the primary (black) or the slave (grey) into it's IDE connectors...
SATA Channel 1: Raptor Primary
SATA Channel 2: Deskstar (no jumpers)

The Deskstar is SATA.

So:
Raptor has its own SATA channel
Desktar has its own SATA channel
Sony as master on its own IDE channel
Plextor as master on its own IDE channel
Floppy has it's own floppy port altogether, no jumpers.
^^^ best performance anyway, I wish I had sata stuff so I could do it like this.

Trust me, you're making it way harder in your head than it needs to be. Wait till after you're done, and you'll slap yourself :D

EDIT: yes, go look at your cables... notice the floppy is a lot narrower? Now look at your motherboard... the IDE (nice and wide) will have 2 channels (I assume anyway), and there SHOULD be a narrower, same skinniness though, port just for floppies.

EDIT: and also look at your floppy... i'm pretty sure theres just power and the connector, no jumpers.

EDIT: and when you set everything up and everything's going, and your floppy light just stays on, that simply means you have its connector upside down (its hard to tell, on IDE flat cables, you simply make sure the only stripe thats colored red is next to the molex, floppies don't have this color IIRC)... simply unplug the cable from the back of the floppy and turn it upside down and plug it in, voila! (make sure pc is off :p)

Last edited:
I already slapped myself :( Why is it better to have two primaries? Only thing it seems like two primaries would do for me is have a bunch of clutter in my case. But if there is a performance increase, then I willl do it. I don't have a window or anything...

Herr Rogers said:
I already slapped myself :( Why is it better to have two primaries? Only thing it seems like two primaries would do for me is have a bunch of clutter in my case. But if there is a performance increase, then I willl do it. I don't have a window or anything...

Go get ya some round IDE cables then, with just one connector on them, and hook them up that way. If you ever to CD to CD burn, this will yield the best performance. Why share an IDE channel when you only have 2 IDE drives but you have 2 IDE channels? :p

I already made my own round cables. If you have the ribbon cables all you do is get a razor and cut between each wire. Then you separate the wires and zip-tie them together.

Which side plugs into the motherboard with these Floppy cables? On one of the sides, some of the wires were rotated.
1839.jpg

you see?

I would say the rotated side nearest the floppy, though I don't think it matters. carefully look over each connecter, if they're identical, I wouldn't say it matters.

You guys are gonna pee your pants when you see how many cables I have. 0 airflow.

Back