• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Scythe Ninja on a K8n Neo2 Platinum?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

siawnhy

Registered
I'm considering getting the Scythe Ninja for my new opteron 165, but since the XP-120 isn't compatible with the K8N Neo2 Plat...I'm wondering if The Scythe Ninja will work?

Can anyone let me know for sure?

Ninja on an OPTI 170 and BFG.

On this board (BFGRNF4U) there is a row of caps along the lower edge of the retention bracket. The only issue was the mounting clip passed real close to one but the whole sink clears them. Also, I was able to keep my backplane support and left the board in the case to swop to the supplied retention bracket. I'm not sure if it will work with that board but you need about 2 inches above the PCI slot fingers of clearance in your case or demel the case door. My Chenbros are about half an inch wider then a standard case and the sink clear it by 5/8".

Ninja sitting on Opti. as you can see it takes up a lot of real eastate but it stays inside the socket dimensions until about 1-7/8" (4.8cm) above the board or just enough room so slide my OCZs under and get them in without hitting. Clearance about the ram is about 3/8" or 1cm.
bohemoth.JPG

Here's a shot in the case, notice my Xt600 under the bohemoth with the "Chickenhead" vga cooler below.
rawopti.jpg

Issue with this sink: The sole plate was warped concave in one direction and convex in the other. Using a medium steel file I honed the plate down a little just enough to flatten the contact area. Then starting with sanded with 320, 600, 900 and 1500 girt quality sand papers for wet sanding. I did dry sand. I do reccoment using a super-flat metal or glass object to keep the surface smooth. Some people lap on think plate glass but I don't have one yet so a light sanding and polish was all I could achive. When finished the surface was close to flat by inspection with my metal desk ruler. I will later remove and attempt to flatten the surface better and may polish it like some of the pros like Harlam357 and JoeCamel.
sinkraw.jpg

polished.jpg

Last edited:
The Si-120 will work if you'd rather go with a thermalright heatsink. Temps shouldn't be different from the XP-120 by more than 1 or 2 degrees.

Back