• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows memtest: How long?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Acurax

So I'm tweakin my new system and was wondering, what % of coverage is 'accepted' as stable in windows memtest?

Like, many say Prime 24 hour = stable...so, what's the norm for the MemTest? I'm at a point where I dont want to Prime 8-10 hours to find my errors, when memtest can found them in a couple minutes.

You really want to use the non-windows version to properly test, because when you are in windows, you cannot test the allocated ram, so its decreasing the chances and the potency of the test. Seeing as how you have the Lanparty SLi-DR, it has Memtest build in, I would just enable that option (its in the page with voltage settings, very bottom), and let it run overnight or for a day, whichever you chose.

Good points, good points. It tires me though, when memtest (non-windows) is error free for hours and hours and hours but windows will only be stable for a few minutes.

I was planning on running the memtest built on my DFI tonight, so I might better pinpoint my error. Only had this thing goin a couple days.

Was wondering if it's better to loop the test #5 only or to loop all the default tests? I am under the impression that looping test #5 will show a problem more easily than running all tests.

I'm not sure on this, but I'd think it best to do at least a couple loops of all of them, and then loop #5. I like to loop test #'s 5, 8 and sometimes 6 in addition to a few passes of all tests.

Acurax I think you are confused a bit about what memtest can do even if you run memtest for a day with no error you only confirm your ram can handle it's current settings and you can still have CPU, HTT or other source of errors, you still need to prime and all.

Tekko said:
Acurax I think you are confused a bit about what memtest can do even if you run memtest for a day with no error you only confirm your ram can handle it's current settings and you can still have CPU, HTT or other source of errors, you still need to prime and all.

How am I confused? That's all I was interested in testing at that point... Priming right now actually.

According to this thread: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=409152
Memtest86 can be of some guide to pinpoint and troubleshoot errors based on what test you get them in.

Back