• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NTLDR is missing.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zewt

So we wiped the hardrive clean and got rid of the blue screen that we kept getting during boot. (link to original bluescreen thread) . But now when we start to boot the system up we get this: "NTLDR is missing. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart." I checked the hard drive and I am certain it is in master mode. The reason I posted it here is because I was told that this was a cpu problem. Any help?

Was the Windows re-install successful? NTLDR missing basically means there is a problem with your bootloader for Windows. EIther your MBR is messed up and you need to fix it, or you left a floppy in the computer or something and it isn't bootable.

Or you're overclocked too fast to properly read the drive or transmit on a data bus. If you're overclocking, lower your fsb by 10mhz and see if that makes a difference. It's happened to me before and it's become the first thing I do if I'm having trouble booting into XP after an overclock seeking evolution.

- Wisdom

.Not overclocked
.No floppies left. No floppy drives.
.Windows is not even installed yet. We formatted it as a slave in my comp then brought it back to his place in hopes that we could set up windows in boot from the cd rom drive.

Thats exactly what I said. I found the culprit, though. Turns out the cd drive was the prob. Thanks for all the help guys, you helped me eliminate possible culprits :) Many thanks.

Ya, was going to say if your getting an NTLDR error when you have the disc in, it means its not even accessing the cd drive to try and start the setup. General steps for that would be to check your bios boot order, then check the disc, then check the hardware.

That's not problem at all... don't be scared... just put a win xp cd and press any key to boot from it before you get the ntldr is missing... then you can install windows without problems....

Okay. I have dwindled it down to the fact that the cd drives arent being recognized. I checked the master and slave settings but theres no jumper digram on the drives.

Easy solution to this problem as others have said.
1. Insert a Windows XP Pro bootable cd-rom into the drive.
2. Select "boot from cdrom" in the bios and resart the machine booting into setup.
3. Delete Partition/s Re-Partition, re-format, and install XP. The operating system install will take care of your hard drive and everything else.

Dont stress too much over this.

Dom

No no. See what I typed, please. I figured the problem out. I know how to set boot devices, it's just a matter of the boot device itself being recognized but not reading the cd. I am gonna switch out his cd drive with mine and see where that takes us.

Zewt said:
No no. See what I typed, please. I figured the problem out. I know how to set boot devices, it's just a matter of the boot device itself being recognized but not reading the cd. I am gonna switch out his cd drive with mine and see where that takes us.

It is probably a slave/master jumper issue. Does the cdrom unit have power going to it? Can you see the green light and does the tray open? Is the tray locked up? What kind of motherboard are you using?

Dom

Back