• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X850 Voltage mod, yes or no?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RobxMcCarthy

Ok, I recently went from stock cooling to the zalman vga cooler. Wasn't expecting a drop in 25C to idle and load temps, that's for sure. Unfortunately it didn't increase my maximum overclock by very much at all. (8mhz on the core) I'm getting 560 585 (max) on this card. And I don't get artifacts, I just black out after that point (on the core). The ram starts to artifact after 589.5 but it did this with the new ram-sinks and with no ram-sinks. So it's probably also a voltage issue.

I'm guessing from these symptoms that I could do much better with a voltage mod. Would I be correct in my assumption?

The card's at about 31c idle and 53c load at the max overclock.

Sure go for it do a pencil mod then u cantake it off...just make sure u dont touch the the wrong cap taking voltage or better yet the wrong side of that cap...ask my x800gto 16...it is in RMA heaven...

Duke

I think a small voltage bump might benefit you, but make it small. You don't want your temps to get much further than 60-70C most of the time. The blackouts without artifacts are normal for all X8XX cards, the core almost never artifacts. On the stock cooler, I was looking at pretty much exactly the same speeds as you, and it definitely responded well to voltage. Ramsinks are helpful when vmodding the memory. You can't quite appreciate them at stock voltages, but once you begin to ramp up, they do help some.

Back