• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron 164 overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadowfactor

Opteron 165 overclocking

Hello I am new to this fourms. I normally post on the OCC and VO fourms, but Im not getting alot of answers there..

I have the system in sig , In case my stupid Sig image doesnt work.
I have a Opteron 165, a DFI LP UT SLI-DR, 7800 gtx 256 mb, Corsair Version 1.1 CL2 Pc3200 Bh-5 sticks ( Im getting G.skill TCCD next week.... there in the mail.) 2 WDC raptors in Raid 0.....

The Stepping is Jh9-E6 ( CCBWE 0546) , mobo and system in sig or above..... My ram is 512 mb with pc3200....

I have it currently at 2.6 ghz ( 289 HTT , Ram divider at 140 ) with a Vcore of 1.450 , it's prime95 12 hours Stable..... 40-43 C idle temps

I tried going to 300 HTT and 299 HTT with a vcore as high as 1.475,
I dropped my ram Divider down to 133 and System posted , Ok good
When The windows Xp loading screen comes up , It appears for a sec then it flashes a BSOD and then some blank screen comes up and I think it says GENERAL PROTECTION FLAUT or something like that , It's only up for like .5 seconds then teh system restarts.....

Any idea's or did I reach my chips limit..... :shrug:

Im on Stock cooling , Im waiting for my Thermal Right Xp-90 to come in the mail.....

NEW UPDATE!!!!
OK I got into Windows at 2.7 Ghz ( 300 HTT ) ram divider 133 , Vcore of 1.5 V....
I Can get into Windows at 305 HTT ( 2.75 ghz) with a Vcore of 1.525.....
I think I am reaching my chips limit, does anyone agree ?
Should I try for 2.8 ghz at a Vcore of (1.550) ??? and maybe higher ?
What Vcore SHOULDNT I go over with the stock cooler...

Also for everyday use would it be better to run the chip at 2.6 ghz ( vcore of 1.450)
Or run the chip at 2.7 ghz ( vcore of 1.500 V) ?

Last edited:
Yeah, I think thats about as high as you're going to get on stock. My opty is stock cooling, too and I got barely higher than you did on it.

Wish I had a dually :(

Yeah i htink that is about as high as you will go on air. although for me I could boot as high as 2.8 with 1.4 volts, but my core 0 is weak :( Core 1 primed away for 2 hours at 2.8 but core 0 wouldnt even make 1 pass at it. My question is with games like CS:S that run better when the affinity is set to one core could i run my proc safely at 2.7 and just not stress core 0? Would this be ok for my computer?

OK I got into Windows at 2.7 Ghz ( 300 HTT ) ram divider 133 , Vcore of 1.5V...
I Can get into Windows at 305 HTT ( 2.75 ghz) with a Vcore of 1.525.....
I think I am reaching my chips limit, does anyone agree ?
Should I try for 2.8 ghz at a Vcore of (1.550)
What Vcore shouldnt I go over with the stock cooler...

Also for everyday use would it be better to run the chip at 2.6 ghz ( vcore of 1.450)
Or run the chip at 2.7 ghz ( vcore of 1.500 V) ?

Thats stock cooling and I'd say your temps on the chip are getting too high for it. 40-43Idle is quiet warm.

Wait til you get your new cooler then do more OCing to it and I'm sure you'll see an improvement.

Back