• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with headphones

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BenF

I'm in the market for new headphone and I was hoping you could help guild me. I have about $100 to spend on a new pair of headphone. The problem is that I don't really know much, if anything about what companies and modles are the best to buy. I glanced at this thread http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=432819 but the price range is under $40. I will be using my headphones for listening to rock music and for gaming, I mainly play Call of Duty 2.

I also have heard about people using amps for their headphones, is this needed? If it doesn't make much of a difference whether or not you have an amp, I would perfer to not have one. But if an amp is needed, what kind should I get?

for gaming check out the audio-technica a500's. they are slightly over $100 and do not require amping.

Well... do you want closed/open/in-ear headphones? What's your source? Is comfort a major issue? Portability?

Good brands off the top my head are Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, and Grado, but that by no means is all of them.

The only headphones I have any experience with except for cheap ones that come with your standard portable CD player are the Audio-Technica ATH-A500's. (he mentioned them above)

The only place I know of to get them is at audiocubes, here: http://www.audiocubes.com/product/Audio-Technica_ATH-A500_Art_Headphones.html or ebay. Good luck with ebay, I only found 1 entry for them when I was in the market, slightly used with a long extension cord for $100, and I bought them.

They come with a mini plug (for hooking up to a standard PC sound card) and IIRC, an adapter for the big 1/4" plug.

They're multi purpose for me, gaming and listening to ALL kinds of music (seriously, almost all kinds of music). As far as I'm concerned, if these hold up, I won't own another pair of headphones, I love them so much.

They don't need an amp, are uber-ultra-comfortable, and sound great to my tastes. They are not, however, by any stretch of the word, portable. Each 'earpiece' is easily almost the size of a CD. They don't fold up either.

For less than $100 and for closed headphones, it's pretty much either the Sennheiser HD-280 pros (I've read many good things, but read they clamp on your head), or these headphones.

Thanks alot for the help. I'm looking for closed headphones. When you asked what is the source, do you mean what I'm pluging them into? If so, I'll be using a creative audigy 2 zs and an iPod. I'm going to be check some local stores today to see if they have either the sennheiser hd280's or the Sony MDR-V900 Monitor Series. Or maybe even the grado SR80 if I find it comfortable.

I would try the Audio-Technica ATH-A500 if I can find them here in Hannover, Germany. I don't think that the site you listed ships to Germany, if they do, please correct me.

I'm fairly certain that Audiocubes ships worldwide. If it's not listed on their site, shoot them an e-mail.

If you're interested in 5.1 surround sound for gaming, I highly reccommend some Medusa headphones. They're a bit pricey, but IMHO it's amazing how much directional sound can improve your gameplay.
BTW, the website I linked to is for American buyers. Medusa is England-based, so you'll probably want to look over there. :)

Thanks for your help. I went to Saturn (sorta like best buy) and tried on many different headphones. I decieded to get the Sony MDR-XD400. I was going to get the Sennheiser hd580 but they were priced to high, 140 euro.

Last edited:
Back