• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NIC pair autoswitching

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Packrat

Is there a way to force non-gigabit NICs (old ones at that) to support auto pair switching? I don't have any crossovers at the moment, and it would be quite convenient if I was able to tweak drivers/registry/etc to enable this function... or is it hardware based? If it is, is there a relatively simple (these are $1.50 cards, so a complex hack would be a waste) hardware mod that would allow this?

The NICs in question are 3Com 3C905TX 10/100 cards, running generic Windows XP drivers.

The term you are looking for is Auto-MDIX. Unfortunately, those cards don't support it, and it is a hardware thing, not a software thing.

The easiest thing to do is just get some crossover cable. For a cheap solution, a cheap crimper and an end, and just re-end an existing cable as a crossover. You can also find wire crossers, which are little devices that you plug in, that simply cross the wires.

Ah, unfortunate. Low on network cables as it is, so I might as well buy some new ones... unfortunately local places like RadioShack overprices for cables like no other,and NewEgg for one charges more shipping than the actual worth of the cable... guess I will have to do some shopping around.

Was just wondering if there was a relatively easy fix, which it seems there is not. Might look into the wire crosser route, perhaps find them around somewhere.

Here's one: http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/7470/

If you plan on doing a lot of cabling, then it's worth it to buy a cabling kit.. 500-1000ft of cable, a crimper and ends as a bundle.

The cheapest is to find a small computer store that sells cable by the foot.. I used to goto one that sold it for 10 cents a foot, including ends, wired however you like.

I would say that if you do a fair amount of networking and moving/adding equipment buy a spool of wire and a bunch of RJ-45 connectors. I did that when I ran network cables through my house. I still have plenty of cable sitting around. Now anytime I need a cable that is just a bit longer, or a crossover, or whatever I just build it on the spot.

If you have an ethernet jack, you can put it on one end of a damaged/sacrificial cable following the A color chart. Then just plug a regular cable into it and into the computer.
I did the same when I ran out of crimp ends in the middle of a project...it got me by until I could get up to the Depot. It ran full throughput speed too. :thup:

*BTW Home Depot also a fairly cheap crimp tool w/ends. Surprisingly enough, it's a very good tool. Nice smooth action, and not one mis-crimp to date.
It's the light grey all plastic one.

Back