• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shhh... Don't tell the other guys!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wwing49

I have recently been looking at AMD's after being an intel guy for many many years. AMD's seem cheaper and a much better value, not to mention how their 64bit tech is much more supported. I dont really know much, can someone give me the breakdown? I was looking at getting a 7800GT and maybe a 3800+X2 (322 @ newegg) I dont know much about the mobos, but the DFI LanParty board (the one supporting X2) looks good to match. I would port over my OCZ 3200 Plat. Rev. 2s

for the cpu think about a dual core opteron, they cost some $$$'s less and are supposed to be of higher quality. post a thread in the motherboard>amd>dfi section, you'll get lots of info there.

Wwing49 said:
I have recently been looking at AMD's after being an intel guy for many many years. AMD's seem cheaper and a much better value, not to mention how their 64bit tech is much more supported. I dont really know much, can someone give me the breakdown? I was looking at getting a 7800GT and maybe a 3800+X2 (322 @ newegg) I dont know much about the mobos, but the DFI LanParty board (the one supporting X2) looks good to match. I would port over my OCZ 3200 Plat. Rev. 2s

For someone new to the AMD world, I wouldn't recommend u get the DFI. It is not for the faint of heart.

I'd say go for the DFI, I am very happy with my board. There is a lot you can change in the bios, yes, but you can always just set it all to "Auto".

I would go for the DFI if you can afford it (I'll assume you can if you're buying an X2) though I'm pretty sure almost all 939 boards will support the X2 with a BIOS update and with the way DFI is I'm certain that they have one. Personally I would either buy the Ultra-D because I don't see a real reason for SLi and even if you do you can mod them to support it.

Last edited:
Yeah opteron is probably the better choice right now over the x2.

Just as a side note, The intel presler (65nm dual core) are out within the next week or 2 - And so far have been clocked to 5 On air stable, and 6+ on single phase.

Just some food for thought - Currently however amd hsa the best offerings.

Wwing49 said:
AMD's seem cheaper and a much better value, not to mention how their 64bit tech is much more supported. I dont really know much, can someone give me the breakdown?

isn't intel's 64-bit tech (EM64T) more or less a clone of the amd64 extensions?

Go for DFI meit, if you run into problems, then it just means you need a BIOS flash. When setting it up, make sure you have 3 or 4 bioses ready beforehand.

Ya id go with the dfi also this was my first dfi board and its been great so far.
Id also look in to the opti 165 you can prob pick one up for 300 from monarch that was the price last i saw.and your ram should be good its tcc5 like my 4200 plat's

benbaked said:
isn't intel's 64-bit tech (EM64T) more or less a clone of the amd64 extensions?
Intel got ahold of AMD's tech documents and copied it, so yes...and no. You see the tech docs Intel used were old, and the version AMD submitted to Microsoft for use with a 64-bit OS had upgrades :cool:

dreammmatt said:
Intel got ahold of AMD's tech documents and copied it, so yes...and no. You see the tech docs Intel used were old, and the version AMD submitted to Microsoft for use with a 64-bit OS had upgrades :cool:
Intel is under a license agreement for the usage of the X64 instruction set, just as AMD is under one for the usage of SSE2, SSE3 and HyperThreading.

Yea I didnt mean to suggest that they 'stole' anything, heh, and yea.....it is old isnt it, I didnt notice cuz it came up when I did a search :shrug: so it wasnt intentional necroposting :p

Gautam said:
Intel is under a license agreement for the usage of the X64 instruction set, just as AMD is under one for the usage of SSE2, SSE3 and HyperThreading.

I haven't heard about that. Is it just part of the licence agreement or do they plan on ever using it? Also, SMT isn't a new thing nor exclusive to Intel, why would AMD need to licence it?

They needed to license parts of it in order for Windows to properly utilize the X2's. It's more of a "virtual" HT more than anything. I'm not sure of the details, some part of its architecture warrants it being detected as one physical core with two virtual ones.

my first board was the chaintech value nf4. then i got a dfi lanparty ultra-d and have had an awesome experience since

I guess all you DFI enthusiasts are forgetting that DFI is no longer holding the record. As matter of fact it's been a while that other boards have been looking @ DFI thru rear view mirror. These days, ATI crossfire and Uli 1695 and 1697 on Asus's, Abit, Asrock have constantly leaving DFI on bottom of the charts.
Just look at the link below as an example, and see where DFI is seated.
Asrock's $82 SLi eSata, does wonder. The new Abit's AT8, Asus's A8R32MVP, A8R MVP, or even Jetway are among top AMD boards these days.
Don’t get me wrong, I know DFI is a great mobo. So as Epox, or Chaintech' NF3. But those where the days of Nvedia. Maybe the ULi acquisition by Nvedia will bring about new DFI board(s) that once again can reclaim the trophy. But not happening yet.
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2697&p=7

Back