• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wrt54g wireless download speed problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lt. Max

hey guys

i just moved and converted the whole house to a wireless network

im using the wrt54g (v5 sadly) with the latest firmware, and if i hardwire into the router, i get close to the advertised speed on dslreports speed tests, which is about 6k down/ 600-700 up (7k/768 rated)

now when i log into the router wirelessly the highest i have seen is 3k down and 600-700 up(normal on upload)

i tried searching and i found someone with a netgear who was having the same problem but not in a related thread

anyone know of a way around this?

thanks
Marko

hard to compare a wireless to hardwired..

but whats the signal and what settings are you playing with ... have you toyed with other drivers >> ?

are you using torrents to download stuff.

if so thats why, home routers can't handle the massive amounts of concurrent connections

nah im not even talking about torrents, if i sat my laptop right next to the router wirelessly, it would max out at 3k on a speedtest for download speed, while if i took a cable and plugged it in, it would get the 6-7k that close to what the connection is rated at.

Is there possibly interferance on the channel, possibly from a cordless phone? Or maybe something happened in the router's settings or the client adapter settings that are sticking you on using B. Check that, or maybe manually change the channel of transmission and see what happens.

the router is set to G only, and our adapters are G, also with B i should still be getting the 7mbps that its rated at because b supports 11 mpbs

tried different channels... on channel 1 i did have problems when someone picked up the cordless right next to it, it dropped everyones internet and the phone conversation bam like that. haha

yea im lost though :\ emailed comcast waiting for their reply
Marko

ive seen this phenomena in a few routers, netgear, linksys, and dlink. for whatever reason it wants to split the down bandwidth. almost like QoS is reserving half for the wired clients. ive never been able to discover the root though. im currently on a wrt54gs with dd-wrt firmware, no enclosure and heatsinked to the max with output around 1W/100mW. i get massive range and wowsers!...... full bandwidth! both ways.

11mbps is max and not even close to feasible with 802.11b. You'll be lucky if you can get half of that, to be honest with you. Even sitting only a few feet away, I'm lucky if I can get 2-4MB/sec with 54G and any 802.11g 54mpbs router. I've tried about 4 of them and sustain on average around 2-3MB/sec transfer from wireless to wired and vice versa.

Back