• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

selecting DDR2 for new asus p5wd2-e 975

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wrangler88

so my future plans when the items are finally for sale is to get the new asus p5wd2-e 975 mb and a new pressure either the 940 3.2ghz or the 930 3.0ghz. From the websites that have them all ready it seems that almost 5ghz on air is possible, im expecting at least 4.2-4.5ghz using air, thats the key i will not be water cooling, just high end air, now from what ive figured out, i can get PQI 667Mhz DDR 2 for like $170 for 2 gigs, which i would want, now figuring the 930 is at 3.0ghz, with a mult of 15, and fsb of 200, to get 4.5ghz i would be running the ram and fsb at 300mhz which leaves me able to go up 33mhz more if need be without maxing out or overclocking the ram correct? so with the 667 the max overclock of the cpu would be 4995mhz, which is plenty, does this all make sense and does all my math work out, just want to double check, also from what i heard the pqi is good ram, i know its not super for overclocking, but from the numbers ive stated i dont think i need to overclock any ram.. thanks!

Sounds like you got things figured out to me. Although, I doubt we'll see very many 5 gig Preslers on air.

wrangler, you def have the numbers worked out well.

As far as the PQI, it may not be the most expensive nor the best looking, but I am very happy with the PQI Turbo 5400. I have the 2x1024 kit and it is happy at 351mhz right now 4-4-4-12. Will continue pushing it until the cpu or memory maxes out.

Happy computing.

I too am interested in this new ASUS 975x mobo.
I read up on the INTEL 975MCH spec sheet for the memory and it specifically lists,

quote,
"DDR2-667 4-4-4 is NOT supported"
end quote

I don't expect this chipset to handle any fast timings. Asus hypes it as having native DDR2 800 support but it is only listed in the INTEL docs as officially supporting 533mhz and 667mhz.

Does anyone know what to make of all of this?

Back