• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions about Toshiba 1805-S274

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dkim086

Registered
I need some help with some upgrade questions.

1. (Memory) Currently I have 256MB of PC100 SDRAM. I know the memory required for this laptop is supposed to be rated at 3.3V and has to have a 32MBx8 config. I was wondering if I could use PC133 memory as it is much cheaper to get then PC100.

2. (Optical Drive) For some odd reason the CDRW/DVD combo drive cant read or burn burnt cd's or read burnt dvd. It'll read orignals fine. I was wondering if that would be a firmware problem or maybe the drive has to go.

-If the drive has to go; which I wont mind happening as it is a few years old and cant burn cds, would any laptop cdrom drive work as a replacement. I am planning to purchase one from ebay.

3. (CPU) I was wondering if I could undervolt or underclock the cpu on the laptop. So far after searching through everywhere, there are no answers, so I guess you can't.

Cpu Info:
Code Name: Coppermine-T
Cpu: Pentium 3 E

Also are there any tips for helping to cool the laptop? I already put AC5 on the cpu.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi-

First of all, Yes pc 133 will work on that system (it will work on any p3 toshiba over 600mhz)

2, the drive is probably bad, but if you have some spare time on your hands, a firmware upgrade wouldn't hurt

2b: you can use any modern DVD/CDR drive, you would just switch the face of the drive(bezel ?) and there is also a caddy that connects the mobo to the drive that also gets switched.

3: unless some software has come out (you cant do it in the bios)you can't change the frequency of the CPU, and i'm not sure why you'd want to do that, as these units i'm pretty sure don't have locks on the speeds of the pcmcia slots and other parts, so boosting (or lowering the speed) if you could find out how to do it would send you to BSOD hell.

Back