• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are The Lowest Operating Temps for Videocards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time4aMassiveOC

heya all. so i got the goahead for funding and im going to be embarking on a phase change build.

i have a billion questions about the project build but im going to save those for another thread.

this thread is for the problems that arise once i have the system built.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

- other than condensation, my main issue is going to be the videocard temperature since i wont be reaching the limit on my processor.

this isnt a question about a specific videocard. this is a question about all newer videocards say from 9600's on up.

what is the Lowest Operating Temperature for this range of videocards?

---------------------------------------
id also like to throw in the northbridge low temps too.

I have seen people cool GPUs with cascades and LN2 so it is pretty damn low. What are you building a SS GPU cooler?

well, nothing is solid yet. but yes im thinking single stage. im thinking ill be using the water chilling method but like i said nothing set in stone yet. basicly i want to build something that will have enough ummph to cool the cpu processor and 2 videocards.

tho i doubt ill ever do sli, i figure ill just design it such that you can cool the processor/SLI vidcards, or processor, vid card, northbridge.

but back to the original question. ive read around that GPU's cant be run for 24/7 a long time at rather low temps. i know that processors start to cold bug at around -80C obviously its a different temp per processor( with some far exceeding others), but in general.

so whats the average for videocards?

how strange, i hear you cant run them 24 /7 at cold temps... but like i said i've only heard from people that have heard. so... we all know how valid and reliable that info is...

so what im to belive is that i wont have any problems if im not exceeding the -80C range for either my processor or GPU? that would make things much simpler.

one.. I dont think you'll have to worry about the cold bug on anything but maybe AMD CPU's.. and to the best of my knolege getting -80C on a direct die with a single stage is an imposiblity by design.. getting more then one component cold would be a greater streach..
looking forward to discussion on DIY phase change here though.. :D
great luck to ya :D

indeed. since the btu of a compressor decreases as ambeint temperature decreases.

i think ambient temperature refers to the temperature at which the evap is being held while heated by the processor.

i have the math which better explains this than my feeble attempt but that doesnt matter.

basicly the colder the item producing heat the less the btu. which is why the more btu its rated the colder it can get. while realizing the point of diminishing returns is determined by the lowest cooant boiling temp.

If it weren't for the coldbug, the lowest operating temps would simply be approaching the temperature that silicon turns from a semiconductor to a conductor. I believe it's anything below -196C

well.. yea other then the cold bug no current methods really get that cold.. even the coldest multi stage cascade.
you can get into the details of btu's and compressor selection in your phase change thread if you are really into that.. :D
maybe I will learn something new, Ive been reading about this subject for a little while. So by no means would I suggest I know that much about it.. lol

Back